Top Shelf Aquatics

Embarrassed, Need Advice

Astinus

Sorry to hear you lost the fish :( as you know I recently slacked off on my testing and water changes and I learned the hard way how detrimental this can be to the eco system too. We are so lucky to have somewhere to come and hold our hands up to our mistakes and get friendly and sensible advice from other reefers. Hope you get everything back to normal soon!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TY MrsPeet.

Yes, I certainly learned the lesson the Hard way.

Thankfully I caught it and have upped my husbandry.

Still don't know the real cause of the Ammonia spike, but, it's gone now.

In fact, the tank is looking good again. Aside from Algae growing on glass, which I need to scrape.

Can't do it now though. Just showered and shaved, I splashed on some aftershave, I know I have some left on my

hand.

Side note: Need to test my Parameters today.

And as far as your comment

"We are so lucky to have somewhere to come and hold our hands up to our mistakes and get friendly and sensible advice from other reefers."

I couldn't agree more.

I can't count on my hands and feet how many questions seem to pop up about certain things all the time and yet folks reply

and doesn't seem to give it a 2nd thought about how many times a topic is started.

This is a Great Forum because the Forum has Great people. Just my opinion.

I've never seen flaming here either.

TY MrsPeet.

Yes, I certainly learned the lesson the Hard way.

Thankfully I caught it and have upped my husbandry.

Still don't know the real cause of the Ammonia spike, but, it's gone now.

In fact, the tank is looking good again. Aside from Algae growing on glass, which I need to scrape.

Can't do it now though. Just showered and shaved, I splashed on some aftershave, I know I have some left on my

hand.

Side note: Need to test my Parameters today.

And as far as your comment

"We are so lucky to have somewhere to come and hold our hands up to our mistakes and get friendly and sensible advice from other reefers."

I couldn't agree more.

I can't count on my hands and feet how many questions seem to pop up about certain things all the time and yet folks reply

and doesn't seem to give it a 2nd thought about how many times a topic is started.

This is a Great Forum because the Forum has Great people. Just my opinion.

I've never seen flaming here either.

Couldn't agree more, this is a great place to be when you start out, and I would imagine as my tank matures I'll have many many more questions that can be answered in here. Good luck with it Astinus, I hope you get to the bottom of it soon!

Umm, that one might not be the beat option... with a magnet rated for 3/4" glass, it's liable to crack the glass of a biocube just by trying to take it out.

Umm, that one might not be the beat option... with a magnet rated for 3/4" glass, it's liable to crack the glass of a biocube just by trying to take it out.

I have a biocube29 and a size small magfloat works great for me.

Choose the mag float according to size tank.

I like the two little fishies magnet cleaner. it cleans better than my mag float and so small it gets into the smallest areas.

I use an old air miles card to scrape the glass too, works great.

That's the one I use on my pico :lol:

Except the mag float doesn't work so great on the curves of a biocube

This is true, for that I use a somewhat abrasive dark green sponge, kinda like this: (and I just don't do it all that often because with the magfloat you can clean the curved parts all but like a thin line)

3297AB_11.JPG

Edit: I should add this doesn't scratch my tank and it's easy to cut into smaller pieces because I don't need very much to clean the small areas necessary but I don't like to re-use it.

Magic erasers are the shit.

However, if you don't use the InTank plastic bidniss cards to clean your glass, there is no helping you.

Magic erasers are the shit.

However, if you don't use the InTank plastic bidniss cards to clean your glass, there is no helping you.

Need a new intank scraper , I'm still rocking this

post-50971-0-48581200-1477883215_thumb.jpg

I'm talking about his old bidniss cards that doubled as a glass scraper. Though, I did like those little acrylic scrapers, too. As much fanfare as they received, I wasn't very fond of the newer, larger version with the different corners.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my acrylic cleaning kit :)

IMG_4646_zps9gsvu9eh.jpgw

I will buy a proper something eventually, but if the subcard works don't fix it!

Glad to see the ammonia is down!

The tunze care is decent for curved glass. The new mag floats suck giant balls. Mag Floats are now using a weaker magnet hence the lower price. The blades I received had slight blemishes that ended up scratching my glass. I was not impressed with the new version.

Archived