Top Shelf Aquatics

iHexBot's Modified IM Lagoon 25G

iHexBot

Been a while since I posted. Just a quick update: I have recently been focusing on getting my calcium and alkalinity levels under control and stable. I have been taking daily readings of calc, mag, and alkalinity for the last two weeks and think I am finally getting things under control. I have gotten my magnesium up to 1350ppm and have added 2.5 tsps. of Kalkwasser to my 4 gallon ATO. Over the course of a week my magnesium typically ranges from 1350 ppm to 1280 ppm (by end of week). My alkalinity ranges from 8.5 dKH to 7.0 dKH (by end of week). Lastly, my calc ranges from 450 ppm to 420 ppm (by end of week). I think things are finally beginning to balance out and I am beginning to see very nominal amounts of "purple stains" beginning to form on my rocks. I am hoping this is the beginning of coralline algae growth. I currently only have two clowns in the tank and they have been going strong for over 6 months no. I also have one rock covered in ZOAs that are flourishing and multiplying like crazy (they have somehow survived alkalinity swings ranging from 11 dKH to 4 dKH and have been the only corals to survive in my tank). I am considering picking up a tailspot blenny and a fighting conch by the end of the week. I also plan on monitoring calc, mag, and alk for the next two weeks and if things have finally stabilized I am going to try another cheap coral and see if I have any luck. If not, I am going to send my water out to Triton Labs as a last result and see if they can detect any heavy metals or other contaminants in the water that I am not able to test for myself. Fingers crossed!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SelectedByNature

Wow very elaborate. How long since your last coral died out of curiosity? How long have your parameters been stable as far as you know? 2 weeks?

Wow very elaborate. How long since your last coral died out of curiosity? How long have your parameters been stable as far as you know? 2 weeks?

Thanks! Roughly three months since a coral died. I have been testing daily for 2 weeks, so to be safe I will say 2 weeks. With that being said, it could have been for much longer.

It's been awhile...

After not being able to keep corals, my morale plummeted for this hobby. Shortly afterwards, dinoflagellates took over my tank in full force. I tried blackouts, hydrogen peroxide dosing, massively reduced feeding, and everything else to no avail...

I decided to give into the hype and try Vibrant as a last resort and HOLY ****, the results were astonishing! All dinoflagellates were dead after just three doses. I now have no algae in my tank AND I have a frogspawn and a ruffled ridge coral that have been flourishing and showing growth for the last month!

As of late I have been a happy camper, I will be buying more coral soon and posting pictures :).

8 hours ago, DaveFason said:

Glad to hear things are bouncing back. Make sure to check you RO/DI water quality as that gets over looked a lot. 

-Dave

Thanks Dave!

Photo update :D

Not sure what this is, but I am hoping to grow it across my overflow box:

s1n7UBll.jpg

Not sure what this is either...but it was pretty...:

Uf0FycKl.jpg

Also, not sure what this is...but again, it was pretty...:

9yzDZbHl.jpg

Frogspawn & Conch:

uUwfohfl.jpg

Ruffled Ridge SPS:

Q1VDERTl.jpg

FTS:

tdCfTycl.jpg

Psammacora and birdsnests! Good luck! :)

EDIT: You might actually have both seriatopora and pocillopora birds? I forget which is which, though..

Archived