SaltCritters.com

porcupine puffer

casper

I know most of you will have reef tanks but does anyone have an idea to which fish i could put in with a porcupine puffer.

I was advised to put in a snowflake morray eel but not to keen on doing so.

Suggestions would be great, cheers.

puffers will do fine with just about any other fish, wrasses, lionfish, small groupers, clownfish, angelfish, even the morays, and snowflakes and zebras are really docile.

I respectfully disagree with Pyrrhus. Any fish with a puffer that is of the same size or smaller is at risk of becomeing an expensive meal for the puffer. Each puffer is different, so some people have luck mixing species and some don't, but in general mixing doesn't work. They also tend to become more aggressive as they get older.

Dale

Puffers are considered aggressive and should only be kept with fish of the same size and ilk. Large wrasses, triggers, large angels, groupers, and large tangs would probably be good choices.

lol, puffers can only be kept with other puffers or by themselves. I would strongly suggest that you only put that porcupine puffer by himself as stressing the fish will cause it to puff up which isn’t too good in the long run for the puffers lifespan. Most puffers, if not all of them have a toxin which will secret when stressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a look at www.porcupinepuffer.com

They have succesfully kept their large puffer with various smaller fish. As for my own little guy, he's still very young (about 3 inchs long), but I've had no trouble with him. From what i've heard, porcupine puffer can run the gambit as far as behavior is concerned. I think it can depend on the age at which your puffer was taken from the wild and for how long he has been eating frozen foods.

I have a Valentini Puffer in with a Tomato Clown and a Bi-Colour Angel. They live in harmony. Actually the Puffer is the most peaceful of the lot.

Check out LiveAquaria.com for compatability chart. I find its pretty good.

Puffer's behavior changes erratically, and one day it might eat your beloved smaller, less aggressive fish. Yes, it might be the cute, happy, puffer that gets along with everyone, but don't rule out the more aggressive side. After all, they are carnivores.

Archived