Cultivated Reef

will my suffering ever end?

Crakeur

Well, I went away for the weekend and the top-off system I set up failed. Apparently the jet I was using sucked. Wish I had known that before I left. Anyway, I returned a day earlier than planned thanks to an unfortunate incident and discovered that my tank was almost half empty. One of my lovley little acros had died, my finger leather also bit the dust, as did one gsp rock. The rest of the tank looked stressed but ok. I did a water change, cleaned out the dead and re-set the tank up to it's normal standards. Or so I thought. Stupid me, I forgot to plug in the micro chiller. Yesterday's heat resulted in a cooking of my little basslet and my sailfin tang (there to eat algae only). The only good to come from this nightmare of epic proportions? I found my third ricordia shroom!

It takes one awful incident to remind me of all the suffering and anguish a tank can induce.

It's my own fault for not setting up the top-off sooner and testing it out. Fortunately (unfortunately) I won't be taking any vacations in the near future. My next get away will probably be a long weekend in amsterdam for a wedding so by then I will have mastered the top off problem.

Sorry to hear about this dude.

I was cleaning out my tank just now and was lowering the algae magnet to clean the glass--and what happens? Damn thread on the algae magnet tears, and the heavy magnet falls right at the bottom of the tank, almost kiling my maxima clam and my brain coral.

Stupid Hagen algae magnet...you'de have thought they would provide a better thread that doesnt just rot slowly...

Oh well, both the clam and the brain coral look alright for now.

Good luck with your tank, sorry about all those coral deaths.

sahin,

get the mag-float, cheap and easy! (i'm not touching that comment : )

get the smallest one (#30?), the bigger one is too strong for my display tank! the one bad thing is that it's bulky on the inside magnet (no clearance between tank and the aquascape)

crakeur,

i'm sorry to hear that! that's pretty much exactly how my first nano crashed last november. silver lining: you get to start over again with a little more experience. that's a sucky lining, i know.

bah, silver lining. The loss wasn't so that bad, although I loved the little fish, lots of movement and activity. The night I cleaned the tank the basslet was nipping at my hand, which had me cracking up. The lost finger leather was the first thing I put in the tank. Everything else is a dime a dozen in my mind.

inepha ... yep

Crakeur..... an I have to say is UGH ! BT DT... Ive ghad enough bad chit recently its about time some one else share my burden of the sorrow...LOL oh well at least you didnt have 2300 gallons flow into yer customers basement and loose EVERYTHING ! HAHAHAHAH.... aww crap... I STILL have to fix that one huh..? crap.. I know what I'm doing all this weekend.X)

Dave, 2300 gallons flowing into your customers basement is more his problem than yours. My black cloud continues to grow. I had a shipment from coral dynamics arrive yesterday but a client showed at my doors just as I was going to go home and put my corals in my tank and he demanded that I take off and go see the Met game with him. His seats were on the dugout and he is a very big client so I had to go. Alas, my corals will all probably die off. I also noticed this morning that my montipora, which was doing extrememly well is now dying. I guess the effects of the salinity spike, the lack of water and the subsequent fish boil are still taking it's toll.

My frustration level is at it's peak.

true. I have had a serious run of luck in attending Met games. We used to have season tickets (3rd and 4th row behind home plate - in the cage) and never saw them lose for years. When they sucked we gave up the tickets (I hadn't seen a loss but we couldn't unload the tickets anymore). I have attended about 30 games in the past 6 years and they haven't lost one, not even the world series game against the (grrr) yankees. I was thinking of sending a letter to the owner so that he could comp me and they could be good again.

My knick victory streak ended years ago and now they always lose when I go so I stopped attending games, even tho I often turn down courtside seats from a friend. I hate to see my teams lose.

Archived