Cultivated Reef

Breeding marine fish

lostfish

I dont know if this can be done or not, but I have a 10 gallon tank and I have no fish in it. I would like to stock it with a fish that I could possibly breed. I know this might be a pipe dream, but I just thought I would ask. I dont really have prefrence on a fish, I mean if blue damselfish will breed in a small aquarium then that is the answer.

LF

you need a culture of phytoplankton and rotifers as well as brine. you need a brood tank, a larval tank, a fry tank and a grow-out tank. you need to know the life history of the sp. and provide the proper temp., light and diet to get the broodstock to spawn. in short, you need to do a ton of research and spend a ton of time and money.

Yep, apparently clowns are pretty easy to breed, as are cardinals. But, as Doc said, you'll need to do a lot of research and have a good supply of phyto and rotifers on hand for the fry...

Ok I really did not post my question correctly. I am not so much interested in raising the fry but more interested in having a pair of fish that giving the right opportunity "may" try to breed.

Anyways what happens to the fry once they hatch? Do the parents eat them?

most reef fish have demersal eggs that hatch and the swim-up larva go planktonic, hit the current and disperse. In most aquaria, they hit an impeller.

Archived