Coral Vue Hydros

weird spider web creature!!!

mxpro32

i have always seen this weird spiderweb looking stuff in my tank but i could never see what was doing it untill now.  there is this weird looking creature with a white half shell and a tubular mouth realing in the spider web. he is moving his tubular mouth to pull in the web.  really weird.  does anyone know what this is?

I think you have a Serpulid feather duster.  It doesnt have the feather duster thing but rather, has a jaw like thing that lets out a spider web.

There are many colour forms too, from red-pink-brown-white.  

Have a look at this link;

http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/pages/main_page...s/faq_rock3.htm

Scroll down to  Serpulid feather duster and you will see a pic and info about it.

Plus the page has lots of other useful and interesting critter info.

Hope this helps.

Try a web search for vermetid gastropod.  Sounds exactly like what you have.  A sessile snail, lives in a tube in rock.  When water is cloudy & full of particles, the worm sends out a mucous trail that collects the particles.  Then the worm reels it in.  Totally harmless to reef life...beneficial hitchhiker.

Have fun!

Carinya

ron shirmek on reef central has had a post or 2 about them recently. you can search the arcives for them and you will get lots of information.

Archived