SaltCritters.com

is there a specific kelvin temp. for clams???

reefitis

hello all...i did a search on clam lighting, and it seems possible to keep clams under adequate PC lighting...i was just wondering though, what kelvin temp is the best choice for keeping a squamosa, derasa, or crocea? the light set-up would be 2x55w PC's (in a 20 gal), one daylight (kelvin???) and one actinic 03...any feedback would be cool :D

Moderate to Intense lighting can be used with these clams although they seem to do better with lighting on the higher end of the scale. Being shallow water species, they may do best with lower Kelvin lighting (6K to 10K). according to my readings and reaserch.

IMO, 2 96 watt VHO's is good enough to keep clams with tanks no taller than 20 inches. and given enough light cycle ( 12+ hours a day)...which i think 2 55 watt Pc's equal to...

some may not agree with me on this,

but if we use lower wattage bulbs (less than recommended) , for example 2 55Pc over a 25 gallon tank to keep clams or "Some" sps.. i think its susceptible(GOOD ENOUGH).

some of us just might think that corals use sunlight entire power, but many corals on very shallow reefs have shown to stop or reduce photosynthesis when the sun is at it peak exposure, only to resume photosynthesis later on in the day when the sun becomes less intense again. according to my reasearch with dr. foster & smith, reefnet, and aquariacentral. :

We shouldn't look at replicating the suns intensity, or sometimes have more, but rather replicating values that are above the compensation point of photosynthesis for each coral.

i think 2 55 watt is enough, but the question is..

"is that what you want?" LOL

JMO, mikezzz zzz

More specifically, judge color intensity by looking at the clam's mantle. If it's a very blue mantle, that means it came from very shallow waters, and thrives on cooler color temperatures (6500K area), as the blue in the mantle means it reflects back (ie, filters out), most blue light.

On the other hand, a clam with a less colorful mantle has adapted to get as much light as it possibly can at a deeper depth, where really only the blue end of the spectrum is available. Therefor, they would thrive better on a bluer light.

So as a rule of thumb, if you're looking to keep the brighter blue-colored clams, select a 6500K daylight bulb. If you're going for a greener or browner clam, or a low-light species, the 10000K would be more appropriate, as they are adapted to living in deeper waters.

very well said, mkramer...

it also depends on how you acclimate your corals to your lighting..

but why they hell did you help with the black sunday project for... DAMMIT...now mine got hashed again...haha

Not to go completely off topic.... but I feel you man. I have a perfectly legal card and subscription, and *I* just got spiked. As much as I hate the Dish buyout, DirecTV is just too damned sloppy with cards and security, and hopefully the merger will clean some of that up.

I quite agree with whats been said by strife and Mkramer.

If you want to keep clams, go for a 6.5K light and supplement with proper actinics.

Place the blue and green coloured clams high up in the tank (eg the maxima's and Croceas), and place the brown coloured ones (such as perhaps deresa) on the sand bed.

2x55 watt on a 20G would sufficient, providing the tank is not too deep.

Hope that helps.

The two guys before me gave very good answers.

Bocephous: I wouldn't do it unless the 20 is going to have MH

If you want clams under PC go for a squasmosa, they'll do nicely under PC.

Higher light clams(maxima and crocea) like warmer color tamps(65-10k) while lower light clams(squamosa, derasa, gigas do well in cooler color temps(10k+).

printerdown01

Bocephous, I'm with MKramer on this one, I see no reason that a maxima couldn't be keept with your lights! I've seen it done with a 27W 50/50 over 6 gallons, you have almost twice this!

I would not attempt to keep any of the blue-mantled clams under your light configuration. You will probably be fine with a Squamosa or a Maxima Gold, but the Croceas require more lighting than either of the other two- and previous posters are correct that the blue-mantled clams require more intense lighting at lower Kelvin temperatures.

The key to keeping small clams alive, however, is feeding. After they get over 3-4", photosynthesis can take over and you can feed less often, but small clams require feedings of phytoplankton to stay healthy. I remove the clams and place them in a bath of water from the tank, with a small amount of DT's added. I let them sit in there for about 15 minutes, and then place them back in the tank. This gives them a strong feeding without choking out the water in your tank.

You would be better served by the 6500 bulb than the 10k, and you should ideally stick with the Gold- Brown mantled clams.

i kept a green open brain once.. with my 2 18 watters :)

based on my readings for these corals, they require strong lights just as much as maxima clams...

clams need strong lighting, but requirements are at least 3-4 hours of MH lighting...

but if you give it a good enough lighting with PC for at least 12+hours.."

they i dont see why it wouldnt be the same...

just remember that clams doesnt come from the same exact place here on earth, they are scattered around with different lighting from low to high, and what you really have to do is examine the clam before buying...

judge its color, to see what they need...read mkramers post :)

Originally posted by Bocephous

would 2x6500k 13w, and 2x 03actinic 13w be enough light for a maxima in a 5g? It will move to a 20g in a couple months.

UGH...........X)

Archived