Cultivated Reef

Bubble Coral shriveled up

Astinus

Cencalfishguy56

Cal around 420. 550 is way high, but I don't think that's the main cause of your coral issues.

Alk should be between 7 and 12 dkh. I don't do ppm, so you'll have to do that conversion yourself. Basically, anything over 12 or under 7, and things start melting.

yes agreed, I overlooked his alk but that's way high lol

I run mine 8-9

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought a Grounding Probe t'day. I have no electrical in tank besides the 2 Pumps.

So, technically, yeah, I have 2 possible electrical stray voltage. (Doubt it) Never felt that "Tingle".

Can't hurt.

We don't need a heater, the house, here in Florida stays around 77 with Central air. The Tank's temp stays around 77 too.

Did you do a major water change to bring down the calcium and alk? Those are very very high. I would do a 50% change if possible ASAP or you're going to start to see other things going down hill I think.

Ya know what? Thinking back, I did remove the Ceramic Bio Rings. My thinking was that with the LR Matured

and doing it's Bacteria thing. I wonder if removing the rings may have caused an unknown issue?

Would it matter at this point if I put them back?

No, removing the rings shouldn't have had any impact - if anything, it would've caused an ammonia spike if they held a large amount of your biofilter, but if you had an ammonia spike high enough to bother the bubble coral like that, you would've seen more things failing.

how is the bubble coral? And how are the anemones?

And I would not put them back in. most likely if they were dried out, the bacteria is dead and they'll end up causing more problems.

Bubble is still all shriveled. Some Bubbles will inflate some, so, it seems to be still hanging on.

I accidentally killed the RBTA. Sucked it up with the siphon. I placed it back in to the tank but the next day

it looked horrible. It was a goner.

The Pink Tube Nem is fine. It has a spot in the Cave against the back wall. Need a flashlight to see it.

TY Stella. Totally my fault! Wasn't paying close enough attention to the Tube (Siphon)

That sh*t just sucks! lol literally an figuratively.

Totally on a side note.

Captured the Largish Clownfish 3-4 inch Cinnamon. Had to remove 2 or 3 rocks just get "Her".

Now, please don't flame Me, but, Shar got 4 Damsels. 2 Yellow Tails and 2 - 4 stripes.

And a Purple Stripe Dottyback.

Shar is still very concerned about the Bubble, as am I. And TBH, I Do think it may recover.

Shar is quite happy to see some color and Movement in the tank.

Also, side note. When u spend a certain $ dollar amount at the LFS, I Can't think how much, but ur entered into a weekly raffle.

We won a 20 $ Gift Cert for the store :)

TY Stella. Totally my fault! Wasn't paying close enough attention to the Tube (Siphon)

That sh*t just sucks! lol literally an figuratively.

Totally on a side note.

Captured the Largish Clownfish 3-4 inch Cinnamon. Had to remove 2 or 3 rocks just get "Her".

Now, please don't flame Me, but, Shar got 4 Damsels. 2 Yellow Tails and 2 - 4 stripes.

And a Purple Stripe Dottyback.

Shar is still very concerned about the Bubble, as am I. And TBH, I Do think it may recover.

Shar is quite happy to see some color and Movement in the tank.

Also, side note. When u spend a certain $ dollar amount at the LFS, I Can't think how much, but ur entered into a weekly raffle.

We won a 20 $ Gift Cert for the store :)

I won't flame you, but that is way too many fish for a 29. They're not small fish and all are agressive. Just my opinion. I think you're asking for a lot of trouble - both from nutrient export and also just livestock in general.

Lol well, I'd like to have mandarins in my tanks but I won't because I know my tanks aren't the right environment. This hobby is less about color and movement and more about making smart decisions for your tank and the livestock. Just my two cents...

And sorry, I read that as 6 damsels at first and a dottyback. Still, to get 5 agressive fish, and four damsels, two of the same kind each, you're asking for aggressive behavior and territory issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an Update on the Bubble Coral. It doesn't look good at all.

1 sometimes 2 Bubbles will try to inflate some, not fully, but some.

I Do spot feed the coral, I spot feed all our Coral.

The flesh looks like it is still attached to the skeleton. Well, pics will speak more than words.

Parameters are in check.

Bz1dAP.jpg

pVar99.jpg

aBQ8JO.jpg

Now the real worrisome pic :(

TfpfnU.jpg

What do you mean by 'in check'? Do you have the numbers? Alk shouldn't be swinging more than 1dKH per day, for example.

Given low nitrates and phosphates around .25, I wouldn't be keeping alk higher than 10dKH. I'd even aim for 8-9. Nutrient levels should usually ramp up with alk, but bringing up nutrients can have bad side effects (not just algae, but competitive pathogens - you don't want brown jelly).

Mouths going inside-out can be bacterial. Have you tried dosing something like microbacter 7 to try and encourage beneficial bacterial populations?

I also wouldn't try to feed the bubble coral too often until it's shrunken down enough to have a cohesive mouth/stomach, and gained a good feeding response. Instead, maybe amino acids, trace elements, etc?

Maria, No, I haven't tried or thought of Microbacter 7. I have never used it before either.

TY for the input. It really is looking to be a goner. I am not throwing the towel in yet though.

No, I haven't got a Magnesium Test.

Salinity 1.025

Nitrates less than 5

Phos .25

DKH 10 (using API Reef Master test kit) Booklet sais 10 drops = 179

Calc 480

Maria brings up a good point about the alk with lower nutrients. Best to drop it down some more.

Edit, assuming his tests are accurate, I'm guessing his mag is fine. Maybe a bit high, certainly not low, though.

Archived