ReefCleaners.org

doing a 5.5g, got a few questions (hey, i DID search)

cmoreash

I'm doin a 5.5g nano for school (i'll take it home at the end of the year) and I am still planning out everything. What would you guys use for water movement? Dave has told me to use a Duetto 100, which I am highly considering, but I'm also considering a smaller minijet (13-108 gph range, something like that..?)

Any ideas? I'm debating whether I'm gonna need a heater or not. My tank at home stays at a constant 80-81F without the heater ever being turned on, so I'm wondering if i'll need one for this tank. When it cools down in a few months, I'll probably nab one. 25w or 50w?

Ok...anything else I should know about a 5.5g? (NO DAVE, I'm not getting a 10g :P )

TIA :happy:

you can also get a hagen mini for water movement. when you need to use carbon or filter out alot of particulates it's perfect. it's also adjustable in it's flow rate. and best of all, it's CHEEP! ;)

but...you have to HOB so if you'll going for a 100% covered hood it's n/g (duetto, like dave suggests). it needs a 1-3/8" clearance to hang. nothing for a big tank but significant in the world of nanos.

I started off just using a Rio 50 for circulation but when I added a bunch of SPS I wanted to increase the flow so I added a Zoo 101 (I think that is the model) it is really very small. I have the powerheads on opposite sides of the tank aimed at each other to create a "random" flow. Last week I added a Hagen Mini for the reasons Tiny mentioned above, I wanted something I could use to remove large particles when doing water changes/pruning algae...so far no problems....oh, and I have an open top so spacing wasn't a problem.....

I've used the smallest minijet in my 3 gallon. It worked really well.

I used a 25 watt heater on that tank. You would be surprised how quick the temperature changes in a small tank like that.

On my 5.5 I use a aquaclear 200 with a hagen compact heater in it. It also has a zoomed pump....hmmmm...a 104 I think, the tiny one. I love the duetto filters! I have 2 I use all the time to clear the water up (I've been moving stuff around), I stuff the container with floss.

ok, thanks guys..so i'm not sure if i got it straight...would just the duetto work fine? or how about just the mini-jet?

oh.and did anyone know anything on the lighting?

For the powerhead, just make sure it is adjustable. In my 5.5, I was amazed that the little unit I put in was moving my sand around until I turned it WAY down.

And, for the lights- I would put a 32 watter on there. I have a 32 on my 5.5 eclipse that is awesome.

How about $55 for a 32 watt?

Champion Lighting 32 watt retro

Archived