Pod Your Reef

Coralife Mini Compact 50/50 bulb?

Tanked

I bought a Foster Smith light fixture recently. It does not have an actinic bulb in it so I thought an easy way to add one would be one of these $10 50/50 bulbs I can screw into a standard light socket. Anyone else trying this?

So the bulb you have now is 10,000K only? What is the wattage? Which Mini Compact bulb are you looking at, the 10 or 20w? The reason I ask is this...

Lets say you have a 55w 10,000k bulb and you want to add some actinic... well if you add a 20w 50/50 bulb, thats like having 10w actinic and 65w of 10,000k... you probably aren't even going to notice the actinic.

The bulbs in the fixture I have are aledgedly 2 X 18 watts. I did read somewhere in this forum that these bulbs might actually be 24 watts a piece.

Thanks for the heads up revance. I don'y suppose there's an actinic bulb available that screws into a standard light socket?

CT nano reefer

i have 2 slightly used screw in coralife 50/50 bulbs if you need them...let me know, maybe we can work something out!

I don't think anybody has a actinic only self ballasted (screw in) bulb. Nothing to lose I guess... more light is always nice, even if it doesn't increase the actinic much.

holyherbiness

I've yet to see a screw in PC that has only actinic. Almost all are 50/50s. I think. The bulbs from Drsfostersmith fixtures are all 6500k (but they profess that the color is actually bluer).

Archived