Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New Kessil A80

toybox22

you're not a cute asian girl and/or a spicy hindi cougar I sent on an errand. fishnerds are highly susceptible to that kinda charm

and/or? hmm...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's only 15 watts. I was hoping for something with a bit more power.

Shame they couldn't squeeze more power out of it. It's a beautiful form factor, but I'd need at least 3 on my MrAqua 12L. That's a lot of goosenecks.

Now if it had elliptical optics...

Shame they couldn't squeeze more power out of it. It's a beautiful form factor, but I'd need at least 3 on my MrAqua 12L. That's a lot of goosenecks.

Now if it had elliptical optics...

Drinking the ecotech koolaid I see. I saw the A80 in person and spread is pretty huge. Why? Because it has a big reflector. No matter what ecotech says their super marketing department optics are no match for a big reflector.

Drinking the ecotech koolaid I see. I saw the A80 in person and spread is pretty huge. Why? Because it has a big reflector. No matter what ecotech says their super marketing department optics are no match for a big reflector.

+1

Not at all. Actually I'm not really familiar with Ecotech's lights. But I'll have to do some research.

I have a Mr. Aqua 12 long... It's very narrow front to back (only 8"), and I like to minimize/negate light spillage. Right now I have a simple Orbit Marine, which is fantastic for no light leaking since it sits about 1.5" above the water, but also completely obstructs view from above. I'd love a higher mounted light, but in order get reasonable height, much/most of the light would be in the room and not in the tank. 15W becomes 5-8W effective? For such a long skinny tank, the solution might be elliptical optics. But I'm open to suggestions that don't blaze the room.

Fantasy would be a vertical rectangular column of light from 4' high. :)

Not at all. Actually I'm not really familiar with Ecotech's lights. But I'll have to do some research.

I have a Mr. Aqua 12 long... It's very narrow front to back (only 8"), and I like to minimize/negate light spillage. Right now I have a simple Orbit Marine, which is fantastic for no light leaking since it sits about 1.5" above the water, but also completely obstructs view from above. I'd love a higher mounted light, but in order get reasonable height, much/most of the light would be in the room and not in the tank. 15W becomes 5-8W effective? For such a long skinny tank, the solution might be elliptical optics. But I'm open to suggestions that don't blaze the room.

Fantasy would be a vertical rectangular column of light from 4' high. :)

Have you checked out nanobox reef? They're be perfect.

Hmm...toying with 4-6 of 'em for my 22L...

Six on a 36" x 12" x 12" tank would be one light every 4.5" and still be cheaper than something like an AP700. Could even offset them front-to-back a bit. I just wonder if the A80's color spectrum is as nice as its big brother! (to my taste)

I know Kessil says they're good for shallow mixed reefs, but do you think they'd handle SPS if I cluster them up that tightly?

Hmm...toying with 4-6 of 'em for my 22L...

Six on a 36" x 12" x 12" tank would be one light every 4.5" and still be cheaper than something like an AP700. Could even offset them front-to-back a bit. I just wonder if the A80's color spectrum is as nice as its big brother! (to my taste)

I know Kessil says they're good for shallow mixed reefs, but do you think they'd handle SPS if I cluster them up that tightly?

On that tiny tank you can do 3 at 1 per foot and still grow SPS no problem. It might look weak at 15w but the big reflector on it helps a ton.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to wait for the A80 for my Biocube 29 but ended up getting the Prime HD. I may get one when they come out and try it on another tank. I really liked the Kessil 360W-E when I had it on my 60gal cube. Grew basic sps very well. Hopefully the Prime HD is as good as people say.

Any pics? What tank is it on?

I should have grabbed a pic, but didn't. Next time I go in, I'll grab a pic. Probably sometime this week. haha

It's on an 18"x18"x18" cube. Looks really nice.

Not to be a jerk, but 15 watts of Kessil by my math is roughly equivalent to a single 3 watt triple up in cree or luxeon flavor.

I might keep LPS happy in a Mason jar with that.

I have the Mr Aqua tank and figure it would take at least 4-5 A160s to get my current light level.

Cencalfishguy56

Not to be a jerk, but 15 watts of Kessil by my math is roughly equivalent to a single 3 watt triple up in cree or luxeon flavor.

I might keep LPS happy in a Mason jar with that.

I have the Mr Aqua tank and figure it would take at least 4-5 A160s to get my current light level.

4-5 a160s? Are you confused with the a80s? Lol

Archived