SaltCritters.com

My 10gal. after two weeks...

Leafy

Well, it's really only been 11 days.

I didn't think I would be at this stage 11 days after setting up, but the corals at my LFS beg me to take them home. hehehe

Sorry about the bad quality of the pic. My digital isn't that great and there must be a knack to taking pictures. I just haven't figured it out yet.

btw, thanks to all the ppl who gave me advice! It is greatly appreciated!!

Leafy

It looks nice, but most would agree, its been stocked way too fast. You gotta take things easy. Add no more than 1 coral per week at most.

You've got to add a coral, see how it does, check how the whole system responds and then go from there.

What are the specs?

I know, I should have taken it a little slower. I don't plan on adding any Livestock until I am satisfied everything is doing well. Everything in the tank is looking very good at this stage .

The specs:

10gal. all glass aquarium

17lbs of LR (there's also about 2-4lbs. of dead base rock)

20lbs of LS

Aqua Clear 200 with surface skimmer (foam only)

Aqua Clear 203 power head (covered with anthillia and Yellow Polyps - I traded for it)

Ebo Jager 50w heater

Lighting (I'll probably get flamed for this too!)

4 NO - 2 15w PowerGlos & 2 15w Coral-Sun Actinic

Leafy

PS. funny pic NanoReefer53 (really!)

Originally posted by Leafy

So, this is a formula for disaster is it? Just curious, what is the "professional" way to do guys/gals?  

Leafy

There's no "professional" way... but there is a "responsible" way. We both set up our tanks at about the same time yet mine still only has liverock in it while yours looks like it's been up for a couple of months.. you really need to slow down cause even though your tank looks nice now, you're gonna be in for a huge dissapointment when it crashes and everything goes down in the drain if you keep this pace of stocking your tank..

My tank is 13 days old, and I don't have a single coral, just 4 critters and LS/LR.

But I know the feeling. Don't give in to your impulses. Stay away from LFS's for a while. Your tank and your wallet wil thank you for it.

The 4x15w on a 10G isnt all that bad as you might think. But thats providing you stick to very low light corals. You can have a awesome tank with lots of different coloured mushrooms and button polyps, probably try a Xenia frag too.

Stay with the soft corals definately though. I like the setup, take it easy and be careful when choosing corals.

Good luck. Keep us posted, I'd really like to see how this tank does long term.

Keep up with the water changes. with such a young tank quickly put together, u don't want to risk any sudden spikes of ammonia, nitrates, etc. As long as the water is good, it'll compensate for the low lighting, well, it isn't that low. You'll be able to keep some good corals under that lighting. Just remeber, one thing in this hobby that's usually hard, is patience. :)

Archived