Pod Your Reef

70w Hqi Retrofit Kits...

CSRobe02

Something that I have not been sure of is this... I have read in many different places that you need a UV filter for DE bulbs. Now this can be a regular peice of glass, but how in the world do you place this glass so that it filters the light?

Originally posted by CSRobe02

Something that I have not been sure of is this... I have read in many different places that you need a UV filter for DE bulbs.  Now this can be a regular peice of glass, but how in the world do you place this glass so that it filters the light?

UV Glass info..

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ReeferMonkey

SuperJP,

You can use a small pc reflector (9w I think was the one I used, from Hello Lights). It runs about $13 IIRC.

• 4 weeks later...

I just purchased and received my 70w Retrofit. It was super securely packaged. I installed the light in my CSL Orbit fixture. It took me about 10 min to complete the installation. Easiest diy project yet! The light is excellent!! It is so bright and makes my 12g Nano look fantastic. If anyone is thinking about buying one of these, I give it my highest recommendation! Keep up the good work LampDr. !

Hey Markster, are you using UV glass in your fixture? If so where did you get it and how much did it cost? Thanks. Also, I've read in posts where guys have gotten UV glass from Michael's Craft store, do they cut it for you to whatever size you want, or do they just sell it by pre-cut sheets? Thanks.

All of the posts I read said that the glass you get at Lowes or Home Depot provide adequate UV protection. I had a piece cut at Lowes to fit where the acrylic shield was. Cost was $6.47 cut to order. :)

I put the retrofit between the moonlights...it fit perfectly between them. I will post the pics in my gallery as I am kinda forum stupid and can't quite figure out how to put them here.

Markster,

I'm assuming you installed the 70w halide in your 12g eclipse, have you noticed any substantial temperature increases? I'm thinking of doing the same thing but I'm concerned about temp increases over 82 degrees.

Thanks, Chris

Originally posted by Markster

All of the posts I read said that the glass you get at Lowes or Home Depot provide adequate UV protection.  I had a piece cut at Lowes to fit where the acrylic shield was.  Cost was $6.47 cut to order. :)

If they cut the glass for you at Lowes, then its not tempered. I would watch out for the heat breaking the glass.

Additionally, I have heard that regular glass filters about 40% of the uv, unsure of the filtration of UV-C spectrum of the DE's output, which is the most damaging.

My Eclipse has always been hot...I guess putting it in the room that gets the hottest probably wasn't the smartest idea. Early on I bought an Iceprobe chiller which keeps my temp with the MH on at around 82. Its around 79-80 with the MH off. It does create a lil heat but the glass I substituted for the plastic seems to absorb most of it.

So does anyone know the effective rang of these bulbs?

I am going to have a 30 tall setup and wanted to keep. Ric's and other mushrooms with some zoo's and maybe some branching goniporia. Will I be ok if I have the 70 watt set at 5 to 8 inches off the water????

Oh the tank is 24" tall minus the 3 inch sand bed = 21 iches plus the canopy (5 to 8 inches) = 26 to 29 inch total height from the sand that the light would be.

you may want to add a second fan on the other side. i did the same modd to my CSL hood last year....

see the link below in my sig...

|

|

|

V

• 2 weeks later...

Archived