SaltCritters.com

Reeferbrownies 20 long reef thread

reeferbrownies

reeferbrownies

The FTS looks great!

Your tank is still young, isn't it? I still have occasional diatom blooms on my sandbed in the 40g and it's been up since June. I just keep stirring the sandbed and it get better. Very very slowly...

The tank looks good!

I hope for your sake it's not Dino's. I had that on my sand bed too, and eventually it started growing on corals (Dino's). Thankfully a 3-day blackout with peroxide dosing and a week of reduced light has seemingly eliminated them.

Yeah the tank has only been running with light since august so I hope its just diatoms, I also started the tank with tap water which doesn't help. Once I get more water I'm going to do a heavy water change.

That hammer is huge.

Yeah only three heads and its PE is incredible

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
reeferbrownies

Well it has been awhile hasn't it, hope everyone had a happy holidays. Some improvements throughout the tanks.

DSC04391_zpse3khak1x.jpg

December 30 FTS

I removed the bubble tip from the rock on the right and moved it to a lower flow area, it seems to have more bubbling now. The hammer has been sending stinger tentacles out more often, not sure why but the kenya tree doesn't seem to like it.

DSC04394_zpsxvhblhk5.jpg

Heres some serious growth on the scan, went from 3 heads to 13, and the original mushroom has popped another baby

DSC04397_zpsjleh4lot.jpg

Since the accidental fragging, the both halves of the montis have really added on new growth.

RIP Sebastian

I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread before! I just read through it. The tank looks great and I'm glad to see another high schooler on here. :)

Nick

This tank looks great!!

Keep an eye on coral warfare between the Hammer and Kenya Tree. If it isn't kept under control, it can lead to a negative domino effect that causes major tank problems.

Maybe consider changing the location of at least one so they aren't irritating each other, and definitely stay on top of good chemical filtration (carbon, purigen, whatever).

I do like the tank tho, nice job!!

• 2 weeks later...

I had not ever followed your tank either and its beautiful. When I saw your signature pic I just had to check it out! Very nice job. I have always had a soft spot for 20 gallon longs. I kept mine for quite awhile as a spare tank until last year when I turned it into my sump tank. I agree with Weetabix about using carbon, purigen or something for chemical warfare.

• 2 months later...
reeferbrownies

St. Patricks day FTS

DSC04485_zpsbyq7mudj.jpg

5 heads to 12!

DSC04487_zpsdzgmrf9a.jpg

Lower flow gave back the bubbles

DSC04492_zpsnpd7d3q6.jpg

Birdsnest has been branching like crazy!

DSC04490_zpsbyubmhl3.jpg

Archived