Pod Your Reef

Draogonets (Yes. First time topic title)

E.Y.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am So sorry to hear this. To be honest I am kinda pissed off for you. After everything you have done, after all the money and time and emotion you put into that tank/fish. To have it end like this, just after Picassa seemed happy with friendship and thriving with food that was a huge quality of life most for the owner. It just sucks!

Just know that you absolutely did a wonderful job and even more by taken us on this journey. This thread will definitely help and educate others. So for that the community is appreciative.

Regarding preventive measures... What did you mean "disengage"? Is it one of the magnet type of PH that can come apart? If so is this common? If it is perhaps people should stay clear of this. I never even considered that.

I saw your post this morning and I am beyond appreciative. Thank you so much for the kind words and I am fortunate to have people like you understand and care You have no idea how much it meant to me and I recently went through this thread. From confident owner who thought she had insight to scared as hell owner trying her best to make sure Picassa made it. After she died I was angry a bit, more just a pit in my stomach knowing my fish depended on me and they had the worst possible death. My clowns and Neon Dottyback passed and I was bummed of course. But Picassa was my special fish friend. Today I went to LFS to pick up water and they were so kind when they heard about what happened. I brought a sample of my water and sure enough all perimeters were good(I didn't trust myself). I looked at the Mandarins and the Scarlet (OMG Beautiful!!) and thought about how dumb I was 6 months ago when I selfishly thought I could keep a Mandarin. I will watch these beauties from afar but will never purchase(Unless the captive bred frozen food option becomes REAL-right now I hear about it but refuse to believe until I see in in real life).

Regarding your question- I have the stock pump and do not have another flow in tank- (There is another thread going about this I started). I will have another pump moving forward. What happened is during the night I turned off the pump to dump pods into the back of the tank. Picassa had been readily accepting frozen but wanted to continue dosing pods to ensure she was getting enough food between feedings. I set an alarm for an hour later, woke up and turned the pump back on then went to sleep. All I can figure is when I turned it on the base of the hose popped off from the pump. It has been really hot in San Diego so we had a loud fan in our room. Around 3am my husband woke me up telling me my tank didn't sound right. It was pitch black and I groggily went over, reattached the hose to the base and went back to sleep. It popped off again so the fish didn't have any water flow for the majority of the night(Again, super loud fan so didn't hear it). When I woke up in the morning the hose was off the base and all the fish were on the sandbed.

I attached well and began aerating with a gallon jug for a few hours but it was too late. Picassa lasted one more day, the last to go.

One more super shitty learning lesson. For those that read this and have a BC, please make sure you have an additional pump. I have since read up on it and have found zip tying both sides of the stock is a solid plan.

Tragic story... But I may have some good news. The store you bought the homemade blended food, is this the same LFS that sells dragonets?

If it is I would just confirm that they are eating his food and thriving not just surviving. If that is the case I think you could get another one.

Oh, I am so sorry about Picassa. Don't blame yourself - you did so much to try to ensure she was healthy. Equipment malfunctions scare me to death - no matter how careful we are there is always something that can or will go wrong.

Wow. So sorry for your loss. That is awful news. I hope you are not discouraged and can learn from that as well. I have a BC, and now I will be buying another form of water flow tonight as well.

Wow. So sorry for your loss. That is awful news. I hope you are not discouraged and can learn from that as well. I have a BC, and now I will be buying another form of water flow tonight as well.

We only learn from our mistakes. It was heartbreaking but I won't give up. I am so glad you have been reading this thread! If anything my loss is a learning experience for us! The reason Beginner's Forum exists :-)

Oh, I am so sorry about Picassa. Don't blame yourself - you did so much to try to ensure she was healthy. Equipment malfunctions scare me to death - no matter how careful we are there is always something that can or will go wrong.

Thank you so much! I wish this thread would have been my own but hoping those that read it see how hard it is to keep a Mandarin. I truly appreciate your support!

Tragic story... But I may have some good news. The store you bought the homemade blended food, is this the same LFS that sells dragonets?

If it is I would just confirm that they are eating his food and thriving not just surviving. If that is the case I think you could get another one.

OH I wish- I think Picassa was special. Their Mandarins are plump- absolutely stunning. I will be having a conversation with the owner Len to see if he has thought of grooming Mandarins to feed from frozen. The scarlet was so pretty and my pre Picassa experience would have brought her home in an instant.

I don't think any of their Mandarins are on frozen and I got Picassa from a different store that closed a few months ago. Interesting (and awesome) side note is they keep their Mandarins in a different tank area and work to tell people they need pods. Of course they can't dissuade people from buying but I thought it was awesome they are trying.

Don't beat yourself up too much. I had a horrible accident here this summer where due to a seconds inattention I lost two of my beloved IGs. I am still not over it, not sure I ever will get over it but I finally realized I can't change what happened no matter how much I want to. All we can do is learn and move forward.

Don't beat yourself up too much. I had a horrible accident here this summer where due to a seconds inattention I lost two of my beloved IGs. I am still not over it, not sure I ever will get over it but I finally realized I can't change what happened no matter how much I want to. All we can do is learn and move forward.

My only thought is at least we try our best. We truly care for our tanks and those who live inside. I value all life and know most of us on Nano feel the same. It is so tough when we lose our "special" fish. Picassa was mine and it definitely hurt - not only because I had made so many strides but also because knowing what I now know won't replace her. They are truly stunning and I am so glad I took so many pictures (She did become quite the ham when I pulled out a camera). Hopefully someday I will have a tank big enough to hold a happy Mandarin or captive bred/frozen fed options will come available!

Archived