This morning's test results:

PH: 7.4

Ammonia: Seems to be holding around 0 ppm

Nitrite: 0 ppm

Nitrate: between 0 and 5 ppm

Phosphate: .05 ppm

Temp: 78.7

Salinity: 1.029

I seem to have lost one cerith snail. I havent seen him since i have put him in. The other two have disappeared this morning, but I suspect they are hiding in the rocks as they were out and fine last night. The Astreas and Nassarius are just chugging along.

Salinity is high. I can do a water change today to lower it, but I think it will be difficult to calculate what salinity I need to add to make it right.

I would like to go look for a Pistol Shrimp/Goby pair this weekend but dont know if that is rushing into it. Thoughts?

I have been monitoring Ammonia at least daily. It seems to be holding steady at 0.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salinity is high. I can do a water change today to lower it, but I think it will be difficult to calculate what salinity I need to add to make it right.

Have you been topping off the evaporated water with freshwater (RO/DI or distilled)? That should keep specific gravity stable.

With specific gravity off a little, and the potential loss of one or more snails, I'd probably wait at least a week.

I find nassarius fun to watch. I call them submarines. They hide out in the sand and then resurface when you feed.

You are on the right track. Adding a few at the beginning is good but not enough that will starve and die.

You can get more as needed.

My favs have always been:

Scarlet crabs(not red legged) scarlets have yellow eyes/antannae. These hermits are very docile, good cleaners but never go after anything or foght with eachother.

Halloween hermits - same as above. They won't kill snails because they need a particular shell.

Blue legged and zebra- good cleaners but try to have some extra shells so they don't murder snails.

Trochus snails- great cleaners

Cerith snails- good for in between coral and sandbed

Spiny star snail- i swear they never stop cleaning!

Nassarius- a must for the sand

Astrea- don't waste your money. As soon as they flop over and you don't right them- they either die or are eaten.

Have you been topping off the evaporated water with freshwater (RO/DI or distilled)? That should keep specific gravity stable.

With specific gravity off a little, and the potential loss of one or more snails, I'd probably wait at least a week.

Ive been topping off with RO. Im going to test the LFS water to see what their salinity is. In fairness, the one snail has been gone since day 1.

Should I do a 20% water change today with water at about 1.020 to balance the salinity?

Ill wait on more livestock for another week.

I find nassarius fun to watch. I call them submarines. They hide out in the sand and then resurface when you feed.

You are on the right track. Adding a few at the beginning is good but not enough that will starve and die.

You can get more as needed.

My favs have always been:

Scarlet crabs(not red legged) scarlets have yellow eyes/antannae. These hermits are very docile, good cleaners but never go after anything or foght with eachother.

Halloween hermits - same as above. They won't kill snails because they need a particular shell.

Blue legged and zebra- good cleaners but try to have some extra shells so they don't murder snails.

Trochus snails- great cleaners

Cerith snails- good for in between coral and sandbed

Spiny star snail- i swear they never stop cleaning!

Nassarius- a must for the sand

Astrea- don't waste your money. As soon as they flop over and you don't right them- they either die or are eaten.

The Astrea have been doing great so far, but I do check on them a lot.

As far as feeding the Nassarius, I have been crushing up part of a pellet and putting it right beside him with the pump and powerhead off. I think he is gettig enough, but I guess there is no way to know. He spends a lot more time on the rocks than he used to.

To lower the specific gravity, each day, I'd probably remove a little saltwater and replace it with RO/DI or distilled until it's corrected. I wouldn't try to fix it all at once.

I'd use RO/DI or distilled versus just RO water. Also, I'd mix my own saltwater versus relying on the LFS. Usually, they mix their saltwater a little weak; but in your case, it looks like they mixed it too strong. You don't really know how good their source water is, and they can switch brands (changing parameters) without telling you. Plus, it's generally more expensive than making your own.

Ended up getting a Wheeler Goby and Pistol Shrimp while I was at the LFS. I had corrected salinity and had been monitoring everything since last post.

They are settling in well. Everything seems to be holding steady, 2 days after they went in.

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: .25ppm

Nitrates: 5ppm

Salinity: 1.025

Diatorms seem to be gone. Feeding frozen brine shrimp, a tiny bit, twice per day.

Measuring parameters at least once per day while the new livestock adjusts.

Most current state of tank. Water parameters are good. Nitrates are getting up around 5+ ppm, so I am getting ready to do a 2 gallon water change.

This pic has one of two Astreas in it, the Nassarius (who is becoming quite the rock dweller despite their reputation), as well as the Wheeler Goby and Pistol shrimp pair.

Some green and brown algae hanging out, but I dont think its too bad.

20160918_175452.jpg

I cat get a good enough look at him. He really prefers the rocks now.

Also, I was super bummed because my pistol shrimp died. Forgot they molt or whatever. Im a moron sometimes.

Archived