Top Shelf Aquatics

New To the forums

aibocyrus

I'll do the Ammonium chloride. I haven't seeded the tank with a piece of live rock yet. Should I add a piece of live rock after doing the ammonium chloride?

Good! Yes, complete the whole procedure of dosing, then letting ammonia decline, dosing, etc (until your tank can process 2ppm of ammonia in 24 hours). This will establish a biofilter that will help process any ammonia that the new live rock might produce (helping to preserve life on the rock). Then, with ammonia being undetectable, do a large enough water change (or series of smaller water changes) to bring nitrate below 10ppm.

Now you can add your live rock. Once you add your live rock (or any livestock), do NOT dose anymore ammonia. Then let the life on the rock spread for at least a week. Finally, make sure your tank is still free of ammonia before adding any livestock. Now that your tank now has an established biofilter, you can safely stock your tank slowly.

I added a raw shrimp to st my cycle and it was the worst thing I ever could have done,my sand had issues until I changed out my sand bed today,not saying that this is going to happen to you,but I will never start a tank like that ever again,lesson learned,lol

I ordered the Ammonium Chloride. Will be dosing that per the instructions when it arrives. I already did the Dr. Tims bacteria. Will I need to add more of that after doing the ammonia?

• 2 weeks later...

So I got three tiny hermits and a small snail in there, also got some pods going. I did accidentally overdose with phytofeast to feed the pods. I am worried now. I did a water change to get some of it out. Was planning to do another one tomorrow. I couldn't believe it. The entire tank turned green. I could have cried. I hope that everything will be ok. I'm pretty worried.

You were right. Already the water has almost completely cleared up and the little CUC that I had placed in there are still doing just fine. I also added copepods in hopes to start getting them to colonize. It's fun seeing them all over the glass lol

• 3 weeks later...

So my tank now has two clowns, one coral, and a very small clean up crew. I am starting to get algae build up on the rocks. I am getting some purple(which i know is fine) but I am also getting some green. A lot of green. No hair algae though. Parameters are just fine according to my last check. Just thinking I should add more of a clean up crew to the nano?

Archived