Pod Your Reef

Has my tank cycled?

shormovas

Shormovas, when your ammonia level become undetectable on your API ammonia test kit (and it will), please post a picture of the results for my good friend Brandon (and I mean that, I do respect and like him).

no problem. when are you gonna show us a pic of the tank =P.

Seabass this is primarily what I mean about API

What the masses get with it isn't consistent but I know your pics looked great. off one sample ten people will get ranging interpretations

It's not that uncured rock is a home run for zero ammonia, it's that not many are sure of the reading at low levels, next steps become unsure, tiny amounts of ammonia added are being nitrified by the sand and suspended added bac most likely (nitrate) yet supposedly off that tiny drop of ammonia a persistent .25 remains (seemingly)

Heart of my issue even though I still haven't tested mine, it's going off what the masses post.

Your posts show clear accurate API and whatever earns that consistency is what the masses need to know. Above we needed special lighting etc, that needs to be in API directions or something or they should change the titrants to show something more distinguishable

Just another experience with the API test kits...

I started my new tank a week ago Saturday (so 1.5 weeks) with BioSpira & Dr. Tims ammonium chloride. I had the big bottle of BioSpira and added roughly 75% to my 20gal with 10gal sump. Started with 70% Reefcleaners dry Rock & 30% old dry rock that I had from previous tanks (dry for 5+ years), plus dry sand (Meso Flakes). I added an ammonia badge and dosed ammonia 1 drop per gallon every 2 days (22-25 drops). Ammonia badge never showed anything = must be defective:( but API kit (approx 2 years old) showed the ammonia processing & I could clearly see the green vs yellow. After one week (Sunday), I was processing down to zero in 24hrs & had some diatoms on the sand bed. Ran lights the whole time on regular schedule. IMO, I can see the yellow vs green. If I see any tint of green, then dose ammonia again. Last night I threw in a hermit & snail from my current tank. Gonna let it marinate for a while like it is, but confident that the API kit gave me decent results, tested Nitrites/Nitrates after I showed zero ammonia after the 24hr period & had 0 Trites & 10-20 Trates. I have a low range Salifert Nitrate kit, just haven't pulled it out yet.

Shormovas, when your ammonia level become undetectable on your API ammonia test kit (and it will), please post a picture of the results for my good friend Brandon (and I mean that, I do respect and like him).

Okay guys almost 48 hours after dosing ammonia the for the 4th time here are my results:

PH: 8.0

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 20ppm

Test 3a

Test 3b

and heres my tank so far

Cycling Tank

Should i just keep waiting now? What do i do? :D
LoL sorry very eager and excited to add my first form of life to my tank!

First do a large water change to get nitrate back down to 10ppm. What are you planning to add? For new tanks without algae, I usually recommend a cleanup crew of a couple of omnivores and carnivores. Then you can feed them a little fish food a couple of times during the first week. After a week, I'd add a fish (while continuing to monitor ammonia). Wait another week before adding additional livestock.

Marc.The.Shark

Can you do that in 24hrs? I ran my lights so that I would get some diatoms, that's always a sign that you're in a good place. Also gives me an excuse to add a few crabs/snails to work on it. I probably dosed ammonia 6 times in the last week and a half. My tank was processing it pretty quick right away, but I dumped enuf BioSpira in for a 200 gallon tank! Lol. It'll equalize here soon. If you're not sure, then I'd do it again. Needs to be able to bring it down in 24hrs.

Can you do that in 24hrs? I ran my lights so that I would get some diatoms, that's always a sign that you're in a good place. Also gives me an excuse to add a few crabs/snails to work on it. I probably dosed ammonia 6 times in the last week and a half. My tank was processing it pretty quick right away, but I dumped enuf BioSpira in for a 200 gallon tank! Lol. It'll equalize here soon. If you're not sure, then I'd do it again. Needs to be able to bring it down in 24hrs.

First do a large water change to get nitrate back down to 10ppm. What are you planning to add? For new tanks without algae, I usually recommend a cleanup crew of a couple of omnivores and carnivores. Then you can feed them a little fish food a couple of times during the first week. After a week, I'd add a fish (while continuing to monitor ammonia). Wait another week before adding additional livestock.

That's the thing this happened in 48 hours not 24 hours so what do i do? Do i dose ammonia again? Do i do a water change? Both?

Also my fish list is:

1 chromis

2 clowns

1 orchid dotty back

1 yellow tail damsel

and i plan on adding them in that order

as for inverts i want:

hermits

snails

1 emerald crab

1 cleaner shrimp

And my lights have been running for the past 4-6 days no major algae growth but my rocks have darkened a tiny tiny bit

The chromis, clownfish, and damsel are all related and might possibly exhibit some aggression in a small tank like yours. It might be fine, but I thought I'd throw that out for you to consider.

That's the thing this happened in 48 hours not 24 hours so what do i do? Do i dose ammonia again? Do i do a water change? Both?

You can always do another dose and see if it dissipates in 24 hours. However, as long as ammonia is undetectable, your tank should be able to handle a small cleanup crew.

I'd wait a day and retest (making sure that ammonia is undetectable). Then I'd do a 50% water change before adding a few snails and hermit crabs. Definitely wait to add your shrimp, and don't add herbivores until you see a little algae.

However, more conservatively, don't do any water changes and keep dosing until your tank can process the dosed ammonia within 24 hours. After this is done, do a large water change to bring down nitrate to 10ppm (or less). Then you can slowly start adding livestock like I suggested above.

GunslingerGirl

Reefcleaners.com had some good clean-up crew kits that are good deals for starters. John is super friendly!

+1 to everything seabass said.

The chromis, clownfish, and damsel are all related and might possibly exhibit some aggression in a small tank like yours. It might be fine, but I thought I'd throw that out for you to consider.

You can always do another dose and see if it dissipates in 24 hours. However, as long as ammonia is undetectable, your tank should be able to handle a small cleanup crew.

I'd wait a day and retest (making sure that ammonia is undetectable). Then I'd do a 50% water change before adding a few snails and hermit crabs. Definitely wait to add your shrimp, and don't add herbivores until you see a little algae.

However, more conservatively, don't do any water changes and keep dosing until your tank can process the dosed ammonia within 24 hours. After this is done, do a large water change to bring down nitrate to 10ppm (or less). Then you can slowly start adding livestock like I suggested above.

Okay... I am aware of the aggression between those fish and i have done some research. I can definitely do without the chromis. But the clowns and the damsel i have my mind set on i just love the colors associated with those fish. Any ideas on what i can substitute the chromis with? Something colorful and different?

As for adding my first CUC how many should I start with and which ones do you recommend?

Reefcleaners.com had some good clean-up crew kits that are good deals for starters. John is super friendly!

+1 to everything seabass said.

Thanks Gunslingergirl i checked it out...i just feel like those packages are overkill my tank has barely any algae! I also like to see exactly what i am buying before hand, so i want to stick with purchasing livestock at my LFS.

GunslingerGirl

Thanks Gunslingergirl i checked it out...i just feel like those packages are overkill my tank has barely any algae! I also like to see exactly what i am buying before hand, so i want to stick with purchasing livestock at my LFS.

Suit yourself but I have never had more than 3 dead baby ceriths in my orders. You can buy with confidence from him.

You'll have crud tons of algae soon enough. Immature tanks sometimes need months to stabilize away from nuisance alga and bacteria blooms.

If you have to go the LFS route.. Nassarius to stir the sand up. They eat leftover fish food. And Nerites for the glass/rocks. Super eaters!

Marc.The.Shark

+1 on Reefcleaners, I'm a fan & John always throws in extra's. Can't beat it for the price. Of course I like a couple hermits as well. A lot of people shy away from the crabs as they will run over zoa colonies & such, but I love mine! I don't keep many, just 2 or 3, but I'll tell u what, when I get a new frag & after dipping I just put it on the sand bed for a while & those hermits go to town on any algae, etc. that made it thru the dips! They flip the frags over & everything, lol! Love 'em!

Pick your snails / crabs from LFS. Reefcleaners is going to send you a bunch of snails you don't need. They will just starve to death and by the time algae really hits your tank, you wont have enough CUC left to take care of it. Add CUC slow just like you would add any livestock. I never understand why people get 50 snails after their tank cycled and there's only enough diatom / algae to support them for a week.

Pick your snails / crabs from LFS. Reefcleaners is going to send you a bunch of snails you don't need. They will just starve to death and by the time algae really hits your tank, you wont have enough CUC left to take care of it. Add CUC slow just like you would add any livestock. I never understand why people get 50 snails after their tank cycled and there's only enough diatom / algae to support them for a week.

Yea that is exactly what i came up on while doing research. The best recommendation i found in my opinion for a recently cycled tank size like mine is 3 snails and 3 hermits to get started with. The thing is i'm not sure what kind of snails or hermits to get i've read contradicting opinions between scarlet hermits and blue legged hermits, mixing them, the two types eating my snails, Nassarius snails needing 3+ inches of sand bed, etc. My tank has 1 or so inches of sand and no algae on the glass or rocks so what do i go with?

Am i worrying too much? LOL

GunslingerGirl

I disagree with Ninja's opinion of nerites. Sure they climb out and can be annoying... But they are probably the best eaters in my tank. The ceriths in my tank are all bigger. Most of them grew from John's ceriths so I guess they ate enough to grow. Idk if they were actual dwarfs then though.

Trochus are also great choices though if your LFS carries them (or can keep them in stock).

I have 5 nerites, 3 nassarius (that I have seen... they reproduce every so often and then the hermit eats the babies), one big hermit, and lots of bristle worms to clean my tank.

They don't get everything. But I also have already stated the limitations in my tank.

Seriously just get couple snails and if you run out of algae you can also feed them, I have found mine will eat ulva when they have eated everything else.

I disagree with Ninja's opinion of nerites. Sure they climb out and can be annoying... But they are probably the best eaters in my tank. The ceriths in my tank are all bigger. Most of them grew from John's ceriths so I guess they ate enough to grow. Idk if they were actual dwarfs then though.

Trochus are also great choices though if your LFS carries them (or can keep them in stock).

yes, nerites are good if they survive =P. but since OP is doing a biocube and has a hood, they will be good since less chance of them getting out. I am just basing it on my past experience with an open tank where they keep climbing out. Or they just sit in one spot and do nothing for days =P.

given trochus vs nerite, i will take trochus any day.

GunslingerGirl

yes, nerites are good if they survive =P. but since OP is doing a biocube and has a hood, they will be good since less chance of them getting out. I am just basing it on my past experience with an open tank where they keep climbing out. Or they just sit in one spot and do nothing for days =P.

given trochus vs nerite, i will take trochus any day.

Lol you gave them too much of the good life! They got fat and lazy! Come on gotta make em work for that, no fish welfare!

Yea I am constantly finding them out of my rimless... the cats at my parents used to hide them and I wouldn't find them for weeks. They were STARVING when they got put back. Maybe that's the key to success with nerites. :lol:

OP: I say try a nerite or two and see if you like them. If not... Meh they're pretty cheap.

Okay... I am aware of the aggression between those fish and i have done some research. I can definitely do without the chromis. But the clowns and the damsel i have my mind set on i just love the colors associated with those fish. Any ideas on what i can substitute the chromis with? Something colorful and different?

As for adding my first CUC how many should I start with and which ones do you recommend?

not saying that keeping those together should be done but I know it can be done,I was not educated enough when I bought fish when my tank was new,so I listened to my lfs that said I could add a blue devil damsel in a 14 gallon tank with my red firefish! I think what helped is the firefish had already been in the tank before I put in the blue devil damsel.they mostly get along now but wasn't always the case,the blue damsel bullied the hell outta the firefish so bad that after having the blue damsel for 48hours I set out a trap to catch him and return him.but it was just too clever to catch and too fast for the net,but after a cpl weeks they finally give each other space.

Thanks bcb for sharing your experience. Im definitely going to add the damsel last so that the other fish have already established their territories and hopefully it works out.....i have one more question for you guys now that my tank is pretty much cycled and i have added 2 snails and 2 hermits when should i install my chemipure and purigen?

If you get a springers damsel you probably won't have issues. They are fairly docile if added last and extremely brilliant blue in person, photos don't really do justice. Prettier than a yellowtail by far imo. Many people get them because they eat a lot of pests.

Starkii damsels are also fairly docile. I had one with a variety of peaceful fish without issue. They look sort of like angelfish. I would still add last though.

Heres an update guys the tank did cycle since then I have gotten:

2 clowns

2 nassarius snails

2 haloween hermits

The first day 1 hermit did not come out of his shell second day I found the other hermit eating that hermit.

I have gotten my first signs of algae on my sand parameters are perfect so far so good!

heres a pic!

postcycle

Archived