Top Shelf Aquatics

bjolly

I just installed Dave's retro kit into my 28 gal nanocube and wanted to stop by to post my experience. i had a couple of key needs for this light: looks bright, easy to install (I have ZERO diy skills), and not crazy expensive. I am more than satisfied on all 3.

Looks bright: heck yes. This replaced the original jbj led hood which had 3/4 of its lights not lighting. My fish probably think this is the first time the sun has been up in months. The controllability is great too. I love being able to fine tune my color, not too bright, not too dark, not too blue.

Ease of installation: the only hard part was putting the jbj hood back together afterward, which is jbj's fault, not Dave's! It took a little creative placement because the heatsink was measured for a biocube and a nanocube hood is a little differently sized, but I found a spot to make it fit, screwed it in, and that was about it. (this is my fault for buying a nanocube 28 in 2011 when everyone else who wanted that size AIO bought a biocube 29).

Value for the money: awesome. I opted for the plus M, with all the bells and whistles, because it wasn't that much more. I'm glad I did. I could have bought a replacement hood from jbj, for about $400. Which would be a brand new version of the poorly made one that only worked for 3 or 4 years. For only a little more I got a modern, well built light, plus the bluefish controller.

All that plus I was happy to be supporting a small business, and Dave was great to deal with. I could tell from reading the forums that he takes pride in his workmanship and takes great care of his customers. Enthusiastically recommended!

Archived