SaltCritters.com

I feel like I'm home again

LakerFan

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have been a member of this site for a while, but haven't really posted because i've been on RC.

I just wanted to let you all know that it feels good posting with all my NANO brothers. Some of you look familiar from RC so hello.

well here goes,

I've been planning a new 20h and I have decided to include a sump in the setup. I wanted to know what you all suggest on the config. of the sump. I want a refugium and I would be using a MAG 7 pump as the only pump for my system outside of the skimmer's powerhead.

What type of sump setup would you all use? Baffles? Do i need a filter sock? How else do i prevent bubble from going into the tank?

Thanks for your help.

More info:

Okay so I want a new tank, and I was thinking of uping the size of my tank from a 10 gal to a 20 gal. I was also thinking of keeping the same equipment.

Here's a list:

AquaC remora skimmer w/skimmer box

2x55 watt JBJ pc's with fans on the end.

a rio 180 and a r10 90 for circulation

And here's a pic of the current setup:

b_tank_small.jpg

Click on my website link for more pics on the current tank.

nice tank! what the size of the sump you're thinking of? will it be the refugium as well or is that separate?

for baffling you can use base rock (like lava, tufa, etc.) or tank dividers. i use a series of two dividers to lessen the bubbling from the main tank's overflow along with a lot of base/dead rock (that's since become LR) and intergrown caulerpa/algae scrubber. by the time it reaches my mag 7 there's nothing left bubble-wise.

the mag 7 may be a little strong for a small system unless you're shooting the return pretty high. you may want to at least tee the return inside the tank with a lopsided tee (i.e. 3/4" to 1" tee) to lessen the turbulence. good luck!

Welcome to the board. Very nice setup you got there.

Havent got any experiance with sumps of any kind so cant help out there-sorry.

But anyway, enjoy the board and good luck with the new proposed tank.

The sump would be made out of a 10 gal tank that would go under the main tank. The sump will have all the stuff that you don't really want to see in your tanks like the skimmer, heater, fans, and the water pump.

The reason why i'm going with the Mag 7 is that I don't want any powerheads in the main tank. I will have a return drilled on the tank, and that will be split into 2 or 3 depending on how i like the flow to go. If you all still think that a MAG 7 might be too much I was considering the MAG 5 also.

BR

multiple return points sounds good. someone else was talking about a spray bar too but your idea works fine as well. you may want to calculate all your right angles and linear feet to approximate the gph at each location. you can also add little ball valves at each outlet before they dump back into the system.

for the sump you could just get 3~4 dividers to act as baffles or mini-refugiums or biotopes within the 10g. section one can be an algae scrubber, section two could house a sandbed or cc, and so on. welcome aboard!

WB.... W baked a cake, but the ice cream melted......

Oh and Im the Sarchastic One in this lill Hodge Podge of a site full of regs.......

I dont Bite... much.:P

EDIT: Removed img: Urinalcake.jpg for use elsewhere :happy:

Hey DAVE,

I knew about you! I knew you were going to chime in here soon! I've read your posts and I think you're an okay guy (regardless of what anyone else says about you:happy: )

I'll even let you blow out that candle for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEN

Laker....LOL Ill leave that honor fer U....

Just dont start talking to Nanoreefin about Lakes 4-pete in every damn thread. I had enough of that last year..LOL :P

And TINY... nah... ive been busy.... haven had time to waste insulting moronicus reefuskeepurz.... But Ill tell ya what... post some thing stupid, And Ill do ya a "special" one on the house ! lol

Gobes, I have a LOT of resources. Having an associates in Photography and graphic desighn and Being a HVCC Alumni... I get to see LOTS of cool pics and privy to a LOT of contest. Some I make with photoshop, others I take with my camera..... some I find on the INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY !"... or " TIME WASTE LOOK FOR BIZARRE OBSCURE STUFF PLACE !" heheh... hope that confuzes ya more.

Originally posted by Dave ESPI

Laker....LOL Ill leave that honor fer U....

Just dont start talking to Nanoreefin about Lakes 4-pete in every damn thread. I had enough of that last year..LOL :P  

LAKERS 4PEAT!!!!

Archived