SaltCritters.com

Question for You Apartment Renters

Nick Kohrn

Before setting up my tank, I called my complex's office, not mentioning my tank at all, asking for a copy of the lease I signed. Read everything about the pet policy and ran a search in the PDF for words like aquarium and tank. Nothing came up in the search and nothing prohibited me as a tenant from having fish as a pet.

I called the office with that ammo in mind in case they did not know their own policy or told me no, but the manager said that I was welcome to have a fish tank. It was relief, but I did want to notify the office as a courtesy.

I do have renters insurance through State Farm and didn't have any issues. If you haven't signed a lease and are considering renting from a complex, I would request a blank copy of the lease and renter's agreements and research the documents to know their policy in black and white.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

when I asked my landlord about an aquarium, they only specify that I had to have tenant insurance that would cover the repairs if it leaked and caused damage.

A "no pets" clause usually applies to animals that make noise, carry allergens, or make messes. My landlord does not consider an aquarium as "water-filled furniture" but every landlord or local government could be different. First, you should just ask. Second, think how you'd feel if the tenant above you leaked a marina all over your couch, artwork, bed, left a big stain on your walls and ceiling.

Archived