Top Shelf Aquatics

It's boring around here. Let's talk about something fun

evilc66

I'm tempted to try a 150w MH on my future setup, with a few leds for sunrise/sunset simulation. I'd personally like to see simpler fixtures, like a simpler Radion (With proper spectrum) with less controls and wifi features and all of that BS. That and if a company did that they'd open themselves up to a pretty big market.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm tempted to try a 150w MH on my future setup, with a few leds for sunrise/sunset simulation. I'd personally like to see simpler fixtures, like a simpler Radion (With proper spectrum) with less controls and wifi features and all of that BS. That and if a company did that they'd open themselves up to a pretty big market.

I agree,110%. I dont even think it would cost any leas for these companies to drop the cool whites,reds and greens and replace them with neutral and warm whites.

I think the whole wireless aspect of controlling the lights would make reefers less likely to actually keep up with the tank and f*ck things up more by continuously messing with spectrum instead of letting things adjust and grow.

I do like the idea of returning to the time of potentiometer controlled dimming and have designed circuits that can do it with ldd drivers but never tested them.

I do like the idea of returning to the time of potentiometer controlled dimming and have designed circuits that can do it with ldd drivers but never tested them.

That would be nice and very interesting. How in the hell would you even do that ?

That would be nice and very interesting. How in the hell would you even do that ?

555 timer, two diodes, a pot, and assorted timing capacitors.

Or just punt and use an MCU - the sub-dollar PIC16F18323 can run four high frequency PWMs without even spinning the CPU and has ADCs. Glue MCUs are everywhere and absurdly cheap that most people don't bother with analog circuits anymore.

No idea what any of that means lol. So it is able to be done. Is it cost effective and worth doing or no ? Ive got a few ldd's not being used !!

Here's how I did it.... four knobs... four PWM channels of 255bit goodness.

8upLDD-H_with_Dual_SCW003_zps2fda3cf2.jp

555 timer, two diodes, a pot, and assorted timing capacitors.

Actually 555 timer, assorted resistors and caps, and a 393 comparator but the basic premise is still there.

Not particularly cost effective though with all those eBay circuits available. Unless you have a lot of channels you want done because the only thing that increases in count is the comparator count and the duty cycle pot/resistor.

All Kessil is missing is the wifi on the A360. They have the technology with the AP700, maybe they'll consider it at some point.

Here's how I did it.... four knobs... four PWM channels of 255bit goodness.

8upLDD-H_with_Dual_SCW003_zps2fda3cf2.jp

O2,are they available for purchase ?! If so,please shoot me a pm,Ive heard nothing but good things about your boards !!!

I'd really like to see more diy led enclosures offered. The main issue with diy led lights is most of the it will never look as clean as a mass produced light.

• 3 weeks later...

Many have tried and all have failed or fazed out. 99% of people wanting to DIY want to save a buck. One of the reason I started NanoBox was to make a unit!

I'd really like to see more diy led enclosures offered. The main issue with diy led lights is most of the it will never look as clean as a mass produced light.

Goals. Never going to happen. I have been working with a local laser cutter for some new ideas. However all you really need is the chassis.

I want ATI to sell empty sunpower shells. The diy dream right there.

yes!

Excited to see one of these. However really not for the nano crowd. The size, limited mounting and massive cords. I am also curious how it will do in the US as everyone wants ever feature possible when paying that money. Who knows!

I have made several DIY lights and purchased a couple Reeflab led pendants for my 80 gallon tank, if you look at their site they offer some pretty cool parts for DIY, but you still have to come up with a fixture. For my Nano I purchased an ATI prime and bang for buck it is pretty good, but it is plastic and has nowhere near the visual appeal or weight and just coolness Dave's fixture offer. There are some pretty cool web sites you can submit your 3d CAD drawing and they can mill anything you want but by the time you add it up I would bet it would be more than Dave's fixtures.

Bill

I'd like to see an actual lighting schedule proven for growth and colouration with LED. Actual percentages for each individual led colour.

Searched everywhere for that and the typical is set it to what you like the look of.

Less pendant led fixtures because not everyone has a cube tank and some have larger tanks and for them buying fixtures like prime, requires multiple fixtures.

Companies to include hanging harnesses. The fixtures are useless without them but one shouldn't have to pay more for a necessary component. Its like a car not having a steering wheel.

Archived