Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Corals and anemones suitable for Nanoreef

zoothefreak

I was wondering if i could get any suggestions on what type of corals i could place in my nano... i know for one that mushrooms never seem to fail... what about any other hardy corals i can use? I want to know about the ones that could stand higher temperatures and are absolutely very hardy....

also i want to get an anemone but dunno which one is the best for my tank conditions... preferably any species which is hardy, can take higher temps and also a host for common clowns... I saw a really stunning bright yellow anemone once but dunno wats its called...

I don't think any anemone is a good fit for a Nano Tank unless they have lots of light and are a long tank as anemone often like to take a "walk".

In the wild anemones can live for over a 100 years. The average live less than a few years in our tanks. You do the equation here for your tank....

Originally posted by zoothefreak

I was wondering if i could get any suggestions on what type of corals i could place in my nano... i know for one that mushrooms never seem to fail... what about any other hardy corals i can use? I want to know about the ones that could stand higher temperatures and are absolutely very hardy....  

also i want to get an anemone but dunno which one is the best for my tank conditions... preferably any species which is hardy, can take higher temps and also a host for common clowns... I saw a really stunning bright yellow anemone once but dunno wats its called...

Can you give us some information about you tank?Lighting ,size are you done cycling?I am gonna assume its a young tank?

ok it's been cycled for a month, but i dont really know how many gallons it really holds??? down here we just call it a 2 feet tank... so how do i convert the volume to gallon???

The nature of the first part of your question ie hardy corals negates the second part ie getting an anemone. You just can't get one if you need hardy hardy creatures, Anemones need lots of light and care and a really established tank. I wouldn't bother personally, I think they are too much of a headache.

Your clowns will be happy without one. Mine love simple and easy to care for hairy mushrooms. They are simple, hardy and look really cool, with none of the worry. Also your clown may not even go near the anemone - it really is hit or miss.

HTH

Chris

Oh yeah hardy stuff would be shrooms, zoos, palythoa, xenia, leathers, star polyps, toadstool leather... lots and lots. Others will add I am sure.

As xcajx said, anemone is not recommended at small tank. Clowns can live without that.

You said your tank is 2 feet tank, so I guess it is in 70 to 100 liter range. That's gonna be 20 to 25G tank, and is still can be considered as nano.

Due to temperature consideration at your location... well... just try to keep it down, make sure it is not going up more than 30 degree celsius (84F) more than a few hours.

Mushrooms are hardy, almost fail proof.

Zoos are quite hardy too.

Hammer can take some stress, so it is hardy.

But the thing is... almost every coral including SPS is hardy when they are in the well equiped and carefully controlled tank. Stable water condition, right Ca and Alk value, strong flow, strong lights etc etc.

If you don't have strong light, forget about hard corals, SPS, clam and anemone. If this is the case, you may go for mushrooms, zoos, brains, xenia and some hardy LPS like hammer, frogspawn, or galaxica.

I think there's a nice singapore reef club too. You will get some recommendation when you talk to them.

Good luck.

Archived