SaltCritters.com

Am I ready for a CUC?

Carlagracie

Carlagracie

In 2 days it will be 3 weeks I have had my tank up and running. I have plenty of green hair algae and brown algae all over. I never had an ammonia spike and have tested everyday using an api test kit. My LFS said Im ready for a CUC. Im going to order from reef cleaners but want to be sure I will be safe in doing so. Thanks.

Yes you are ready for CUC. Don't over do it. Plus, I do not recommend hermit crabs as they will eat your snails. For cleaning up uneaten food I highly recommend bristle worms. They will multiply in your sandbed as well as Florida Cerith snails. In anything, it's a "Question of Balance", my favorite album from the Mody Blues.

You never had an ammonia spike at all?

How did you cycle the tank?

I do recommend hermits. To avoid hermits murdering snails- stick with turbos, trochus, spiny star- hermits don't like their shells. Provide empty shells for them to grow into. Make sure they are getting food or of course they will find their own.

Scarlets and halloween hermits I've never seen go after anything. Great cleaners.

Carlagracie

I used about 55 pounds of cured live rock and 40 pounds of live substrate. I actually just placed my order from reef cleaners a few moments ago. I cant wait The green hail algae is out of control!!!. Am I safe to add a clown or two right now?

after your tank cycles, you should be seeing diatoms and a little bit of algae. If you are seeing a lot of green hair algae, you should address that first before adding to your bioload. What's your nitrate and phosphate? What size tank is this? Note that CUC alone will not take care of a really bad green hair algae issue.

Archived