Cultivated Reef

Newb's <strike>Zeo</strike> Aqua Forest Powered 25 Lagoon

NewbReefer316

Nice presentation! I almost went with a 30" HD cabinet, but the wife found a perfect piece at homegoods that matched our living room theme.

I'll definitely be following!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NewbReefer316

Going with a mixed reef and I have the following my options for flow:

Single older MP10

2x Jebao PP4

Gyre 130

Which should I start off with?

• 5 weeks later...

Well, this is due for a much needed up date. I finally got around to at least getting this thing wet.

I'm thinking about renaming this to "The waste a bunch of money changing plans before it even gets going" tank!!!

Here's a quick picture of where we're at now:

TEIV4iS.jpg

After changing plans from Zeo to Aqua Forest, which I think is really going to work out well with the plans for the tank, I realized that some of the equipment that I got will probably end up getting changed out. I'm currently running 2 InTank media racks filter floss, phosphate minus and carbon with the zeo blend in the InTank refugium basket. I've read that the AF method works best stacked in a reactor so I picked up a mini-max midsize reactor to eventually try out.

I'm waiting on the clips to get in so that I can build a lid that sits inside the glass instead of on top and I've got a pair of SA Blacker Ice clowns waiting to move into it.

How do you add the spoiler tag to pictures? I'm going to try and update the first post when I get some time.

If you google about the spoiler thing it will come up. It's a few brackets and stuff I just don't remember exactly.

Excited to see this thing wet! I too have been thinking about getting a reactor but just not sure lol

love the scape.. it's about damn time you dumped some water in that thing

LOL, thanks. When I get some free time I'll probably go over a couple things that kept setting the build back. I'd have plenty of time if the forum wasn't blocked at work!

Anybody have a link to a really good Aquaforest thread. I am also thinking of running this in my 25 Lagoon just placed the order today.

RC is one of the only forums nothat blocked at work so I've spent some time in their Aqua Forest sponsor forum. Good info and there's a couple people that tend to answer questions pretty quickly there as well.

The first thing you'll here from them is get a reactor!

Yeah Ive got the IM reactor but I thought someone said it wasn't big enough to have all of the AF media in it.

Really like the aquascape by the way man really nice.

Yeah, I picked up the midsize which I think holds 550ml and should be just about enough.

Thanks, I don't really see myself as an artsy person but I usually end up enjoying the process of aquascaping. The rocks all came from a 36g bowfront we previously had in the living room. Even though some were already epoxies together for the previous scape I was able to repurpose them. I originally wanted an island and overhang setup but I think this will work. I put an mp10 on today though to see about getting a more random flow pattern throughout since there's so much rock blocking the returns.

What mode are you all running your mp's on?

Yellow color, the second set of LEDS (2nd and 3rd lit, not 1st and 2nd). Reef Crest Random. It really creates unpredictable flow throughout the day.

I run with a Smart Micro and keep it about 2 inches below the skimmer chamber baffle. I think its all personal preference. The larger the gap the noisier it is though

I run with a Smart Micro and keep it about 2 inches below the skimmer chamber baffle. I think its all personal preference. The larger the gap the noisier it is though

That sounds low, what heater are you using and what chamber is it in?

I'm running the cobalt in the return chamber so in order to have the dial covered the water is above the skimmer baffle.

I'll have to play around with it when I switch over to the reactor, I might be able to get it in the sandwiched chamber.

Well, a lot has happened with the tank, probably too much!

Here's a shot of it today. Got some coral in and decided to throw them in here and see how they do with the Aqua Forest system, also got some nano conchs in from Glenn Ritter. I was in desperate need of a CUC and wanted to wait until I got them to try something new.

FTS, emphasis on the "full"

2pURpm6.jpg

With the addition of the CUC as well as the increase in flow I think the cyano issue should be resolved. At least I hope that it is.

This might be my new favorite coral.

vLQ236Q.jpg

Finally put together the BRS DIY screen kit. I'm pretty impressed with the results, especially with how easy it was to put together.

AQiA4ZR.jpg

Ff9H1YX.jpg

Can you find the dead crab?

l3JSyU5.jpg

Somehow I missed it when inspecting it but it looks like the dip did it's job.

Here's a previous picture from when I transferred over a couple corals from a local reefer who was getting out of the hobby.

j3f0VeZ.jpg

I'm probably way overstocked and asking for trouble but I'll do my best to keep an eye on everything and hopefully it'll be ok.

Couple extra random thoughts-

1. I really like the look of the rock but I think it's lacking in surface area for bacteria to grow so I'm looking into adding some marine pure media in the sump area. Looking at either the rubble or maybe 2x2 blocks to stack in the baskets.

2. I adjusted the ghost skimmer and am getting micro bubbles like crazy... That thing may be out the door shortly!

Stay tuned, tomorrow is new fish day!!!

Note to self, be careful when adding a bunch of new corals!

Walked by the tank before heading to bed and noticed it smelled a little funny and some of the new SPS weren't looking too good. Decided to test the water and noticed a major ammonia spike!

wD0rOYT.jpg

Changed out about 8 gallons and have another 8-10 to change either tomorrow or Saturday depending on the next test results.

I'll have to wait until the lights come on tomorrow to see if I already lost anything.

I'll be on the search for some marine pure media this weekend.

Note to self, be careful when adding a bunch of new corals!

Walked by the tank before heading to bed and noticed it smelled a little funny and some of the new SPS weren't looking too good. Decided to test the water and noticed a major ammonia spike!

https://i.imgur.com/a/8POGf

Changed out about 8 gallons and have another 8-10 to change either tomorrow or Saturday depending on the next test results.

I'll have to wait until the lights come on tomorrow to see if I already lost anything.

I'll be on the search for some marine pure media this weekend.

Are you not running the AF Zeo Media?

How do you like the spin streams?

Are you not running the AF Zeo Media?

How do you like the spin streams?

I'm currently running 250ml. Should I just add more media? The issue i'll run into is capacity when I switch over to the reactor. I was thinking the biopure would help with the lack of area for bacteria but didn't even consider just adding more zeo media.

I'm undecided on the spin streams. They are quiet so far and look like they add some randomness to the flow but I don't really know how "useful" they really are.

I mean marine pure would get you a lot of surface area but if you were able to add more zeo it would help also. I think either way would work. Are you running the custom caddy's? The marine pure bricks you can cut and slide them into one of the slots on the caddy.

How did the ammonia spike treat the tank? Also if you are looking into more Aquaforest stuff they are releasing a product called Life Bio Fil in a few days/weeks. It is basically marine pure or matrix already loaded with beneficial bacteria. It is not supposed to replace anything in the line up but more of just an addition for the added surface area for bacteria. Are you running a reactor yet?

I mean marine pure would get you a lot of surface area but if you were able to add more zeo it would help also. I think either way would work. Are you running the custom caddy's? The marine pure bricks you can cut and slide them into one of the slots on the caddy.

I'm running the caddy's, I was going to switch over to just the floss holders once I moved over to the reactor but I'll probably just stick with the caddy's and place some sort of bio media in them. I'm looking into adding more zeomix, I just want to be careful not to strip too much from the tank.

How did the ammonia spike treat the tank? Also if you are looking into more Aquaforest stuff they are releasing a product called Life Bio Fil in a few days/weeks. It is basically marine pure or matrix already loaded with beneficial bacteria. It is not supposed to replace anything in the line up but more of just an addition for the added surface area for bacteria. Are you running a reactor yet?

Wasn't too bad, all the livestock look ok. Two of the sps colonies are looking rough, they're extremely light to start off with so it's hard to tell. Most of the frags look good though so I'm not sure what's going on with them. I did find a couple different crabs in them so not sure if that could be part of the issue either. Changed out about another 8 gallons of water today just to be on the safe side.

Got the fish in today so i'll post more later tonight. My yasha goby was backordered so my candy cane will be stay solo unless he decides to become an odd couple with the helfrichi firefish, which I just realized is a goby :facepalm:

Archived