Pod Your Reef

Astrea Snail eating too much

kimura

The problem is that it cleans the rock till there's nothing on it. It even ate the coraline algae (purple stuff). It moves soo slow, like it's making sure that it didn't miss a spot. But if it's a good thing then, i'll put it back in.

That is usually a good thing. How many gallons is your tank and how many astrea snails do you have? Too many snails can deplete the food supply. Really though your snail(s) are doing its job. :D

Cameron

coralline usually encrust on the surface of the rock..so its gonna be close to imposible for snails to eat it...

i have even taken a rock off and scrubbed it with a bristle brush, and coralline was still there...

unless your tank is new..its normal for coralline to fade away. then it should grow back later when the tank established.

good luck, mike

Strife: Yeah my tank is new, so it must have faded away. I guess i'm just freaking out.

Physh1: I have one large snail in a 12 gallon. I guess I'm gonna stick with him instead of returning him. But he'll be the only one in there. On second thought, should I just get two smaller ones instead of one big one?

I just change the type of water as well, in hopes to reduce the algae. I hope it helps as well.

I would be HAPPY to have such a hard worker in my tank. :D

I highly doubt the astrea ate the coralline algae, they aint equiped with tools to do so.

Well, good luck with the super astrea. :D

Are you sure you didn't get a turbo?

Sounds like no astrea I've ever heard of. Astreas are smallish (~1.5" in diameter), with a "pyramid" shaped shell (ie, very pointy at the top, where the point is directly above the snail, as opposed to conical, which is long and pointy, but the point trails behind the snail). Very often, the shell is white or a light gray, and his a tight spiral of grooves. The foot of the snail is most often white, and they have a very pronounced white tube projecting from their head (never figured out what this is called). The one in the picture below is not near as white as mine, but it gives you the general shape.

pw86499atsrea_snail.jpg

A turbo, on the other hand, can grow huge (up to 3", I believe), are generally darker, in shades of brown. Their shells are a very large spiral.

marinedepotlive_1695_6021552

MKramer: Man you are totally right! I went to aquatic warehouse today to look and see if the astreas were that bad. Well they're not astrea or turbo. It looks like a Black snail, I'm not too sure but they had it there and it looks just like the ones there. I got it free from a friend (keeps fish) so I guess he didn't know any better and neither did I.......:( oh well........

Next time I'm gonna get it from a more knowledgable person. Thanks and good catch!

Damn Dave! WTH?!

Haha, kimura, I was at Aquatic earlier today as well... we probably passed each other...

Speaking of Aquatic Warehouse, when I was there, they had gottena a new shipment of fish in. One of the employees asked where this one fish should go (I have no idea what kind it was but it looked hella expensive..) but anyway, one of the guys told him to put it in a tank with this phat ass eel. I walked over there and noticed the eel was picking on the new fish so I called an employee to come over, he was like, I'll be there in a sec... and BAM! The eel scarfed down that fish whole! Some other guy that worked there ran over and was like, "F*ck! Who the hell placed this fish in here?!" It looked like something from the Discovery Channel... it was crazy. X)

NaNoReeFin, I was there right before closing. Traffic was bad coming off the 15. Anyways, I wish I could've seen that eel crunch down that fish.

NaNoReefin.....did you live in the Bayarea for awhile? reason I asked was "Hella" is what my girl says alot.

Well, I'm gonna head back over there after work. It was my first time there and since it was closing, i didn't get a chance to really look around.

Maybe I see yah there. I'll be the tall asian guy usually with my girl and our little girl.

Naw, I lived in San Diego my whole life. How funny, I got the word "hella" from one of my girl-friends, she said it so much, it stuck, and now I'm using it... :D

Originally posted by MKramer

they have a very pronounced white tube projecting from their head (never figured out what this is called).  

I'd probably a siphon. I'm a snail freak. I'm starting a 24 hour FW snail cam. I want to get a cone snail from austrailia. they eat fish and have killed humans before ;) tghe following are a few movies

http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/fish2.mov

http://www.healthsurfing.com/mswinmedia/he...ils.320.240.asx

tgrupert man! That was cool!!! When I was in the Navy, we went to australia and Japan. When I was there I went snorkling and found a few of those cone snails. I picked it up from behind to check it out. It was pretty scary looking at it from afar, and knowing that it was deadly. Upon looking back, it was pretty stupid of me to pick it up.

But I sure do wish I had one in my tank, man those things are way cool.

Actualy there was an IDIOT JARHEAD (MARINE) who heald 2 in his hands that washed up on a beach last year....... the one was still alive and nailed him in the neck. He was dead in 12 seconds... There is a picture of him 1/2 crumpled to the ground, I saw only for 20 minutes on a site before it was pulled... I WISH now that I saved it. Stupid Marines........ yeah who is "The few the Proud.. The Stupid."

GO Peace Core !lol and Salvation Army ! :P

are you sure he's dead? cause this site says there hasn't been a death since 1935? Did the media cover it? I doubt that he's dead, but I'd still be interested.

Archived