inTank Media Baskets

Late to the party Lagoon

nolanrob123

On 8/12/2017 at 1:51 PM, Christopher Marks said:

Great update! Lucky fish!

Yes for sure! Grumpy face is probably one of our favorites. It has a lot of character. 

Decided to take some more pictures today. Some updated ones with growth from the mangrove. I wish I could line the back of the aquarium with them but I don't think it would live. 

IMG_8136.JPG

IMG_8143.JPG

• Like 1

I am also so glad to have one of my favorite corals, the bird of paradise. I know it's probably seen as an amateur coral but it is honestly the one that got me into saltwater. My local fish store has  the best coral around and they fragged a piece for me. Deep purple polyps and bright neon green flesh. So happy. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a little update here. We suffered one of the worst storms in our history with hurricane Harvey coming through. The storm lasted for days here in Houston and has wreaked havoc on tens of thousands of lives for over a week now. Days before the hurricane hit Texas it grew in power and turned into a category 4 storm.

After several days in several foot deep water we ended up having to evacuate in a boat. The street level is 6' below home for a reference. We weren't sure how long our neighborhood we be inaccessible and didn't want to risk our families safety as the water continued to rise. The decision to leave had to be made in minutes as families were scrambling to decide what to do. I cannot thank our law enforcement officers and rescue teams enough for what they did for us. We are all safe and back in our homes now. 

This has been a very good lesson for us for our safety preparedness as well as the tank. We could not get any top off water before the storm as they were all sold out. A big lesson learned is to always have gallons more than you actually need.

We are very fortunate to have had our home spared as well as our loving neighbors. It was truly an awful experience. The tank went 5 days without being fed and was 1 gallon low on water. We aren't sure if we lost power or not as we have not reviewed the security cameras. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter though. The corals are looking healthy and the fish are all alive. There was a huge film build up on the glass and the water was cloudy for a little period. Today all is well for us, but we are doing everything we can to help our communities. Once that is done I will dedicate more attention to the tank again. Here are a couple recent pictures. 

IMG_8399.JPG

IMG_8401.JPG

A few more. 

A few more. 

• 4 weeks later...

Updated FTS. looking at the photos it appears the gsp is shrinking. Of all corals that’s the last one I thought would be affected by cyano. The cyano is starting to go away so I’m sure it will make a recovery afterwards. Some of the zoas have shrunken as well. Anybody have that happen before?

C867ABA6-E732-4FE5-8A9C-BBB731C812F0.jpeg

A837355F-4009-4A62-A5EA-325F63EEB087.jpeg

• Like 1