ReefCleaners.org

red bugs.. / pipefish??

matt the fiddler

matt the fiddler

check this out..

from liveaquaria....

Dragonface Pipefish

p_89287.jpg

This species of pipefish has been found to consume the micro-amphipod commonly referred to as the dreaded "Red Bugs" that have now become prevalent in reef aquariums that contain Acropora coral. Red Bug infestations on Acropora corals have been shown to inhibit polyp extension and growth, while causing shifts or loss in coloration. After the pipefish is accustomed to the surroundings and tankmates in the reef aquarium, they will quickly seek out these red bugs as a food source.

any one have any luck wiht this?

yes i know these arn't to be thrown in the average aquarium!

talk about a good looking solution to pestsB) ....why cant they be? theyre not coral eaters maybe in a slower flow tank they would thrive.

there was a thread about this over in the RC SPS forum a little while ago. I think a couple of ppl tried them but I can't remember. I nuked my tank with interceptor, just the one treatement and I haven't seen a bug since.

I'd say that these little guys wouldn't like the flow in most SPS tanks, but I have no experience with them so that's purely speculation.

-skeletor-

matt the fiddler

yea. hmmm well.....

i know a guy in indy that kept a piar of pipes in a tank with a few wrases , maroons, and some other agressive fish no problems.. [125G w/ tunze stream] makes me wonder if they are a possibly addition- especially if they do that... if any one hears any success stories, let us know!

Sounds ike a pipe dream..........."thank you...... try the veal"

I've heard several people try them, mandrins, and other "pickers" and no luck!

Archived