Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sedentary worm id

inkto

Hello all,

Can anybody point me in the right direction to do some research on this worm? It started as a small (< 1mm) wide translucent deep red tube that began to grow and coil on top of itself until there were about 6 coils. It appears to only be growing larger near the opening now (which is ~2mm across). There are two black tentacles visible exiting the tube. I also have some of these on my astrea snails though they have remained much smaller.

Thanks for any ideas...ben

6912100_0459nr.jpg

Cool I needed an ID for soemthing like that. Turns out that I have the same thing.

8259tube_something-med.jpg

At first I thought that it was releasing alot of waste, so I kept sucking it up, but now I know it is a web to catch food. gezz, that web is always getting on my green cap because the snail lives behind the same rock as the monti cap.

• 1 month later...

Here is an updated picture of the vermetid snail previously posted. The two pictures depict 5 weeks of growth... fairly impressive, I think. His mucus web is also becoming quite impressive. It's amazing the things that appear as our artificial environments mature and grow more capable of supporting life.

6912vermetid-growth-med.jpg

What type of worm is in kappa's picture??? I have one of those in my tank that I noticed last night it has 4 little antennas just like the one in the picture... are they harmful to my tank? Thanks for anyone who can help me on this!

Mine is a vermetid snail. It spins web like strings and releases them all over to capture food, and lives in a tube like shell home that it also makes. I killed it becaause the webs were getting caught all over my monti cap which was on the same rock. The snail is harmless.

Archived