inTank Media Baskets

Could a nano box be high-mounted and focused?

holy carp

I'm pretty happy with my tank overall, but I've been seeing some really impressive colors under some these nanobox lights, which got me to thinking a little bit.

So I wonder if it would be possible to mount the light high above the tank? Right now I have an orbit marine sitting right on the tank. I have a mirror against the wall above the tank that I wouldn't want to obstruct, so mounting something higher than the tank wouldn't work well... unless it was fully 3.5-4 feet above the tank (and mirror).

In order to accomplish that I'd think some type of focusing would have to be used to direct the light almost straight down. Has anyone done this before? Perhaps with fresnel lens sheets, or some of those individual LED lenses?

Suspended over a small Mr. Aqua 12G Long, and in order to maximize coverage but minimize light leakage, I'm estimating that from a quad this would need to be focused very tightly front to back - roughly 4°. To the sides could have a bit more spread - maybe 12°, which is obviously still a pretty small angle, and may not be at all feasible, but I'm curious if anyone has done anything similar over a bigger tank that would be more forgiving.

There is no real way to add lens/reflectors to the units. The lights themselves are designed to be closer but coverage for most tanks.

The other issue with the lens is then making a way to have the board and LEDs themselves covered again.

-Dave

Bummer, but thanks for the explanation. what is the natural spread angle on these LED's?

I know this is not what your aiming for but if done right you have very little spill. I have had a few customers try to mount Ledil reflectors but have not heard back from them.

120-170 degrees, depending on the color.

Thanks Clive.

Archived