ReefCleaners.org

Stocking? Alternate clown hosts?

Hyshnari

Just to be totally clear, I will not be stocking my new tank with any corals until it is 100% stable for 6+ months. :) Just looking for ideas so I can research a bit on some corals that will work for my tank.

That being said, this is my tank setup:

- Standard, run-of-the-mill 10g tank

- 2 coralife 50/50 10watt compact fluorescents (the ones that screw into an incandescent fixture)

- approx 15lbs black sand (seeded with live sand from other tank)

- approx 5-7lbs live rock rubble

- penguin mini bio-wheel filter (up to 20gal)

- 100w heater

Now this tank is basically intended for my two black percula clownfish (I'm told that they're actually ocellaris?) which I got from my boyfriend as a surprise... Unfortunately the tank they're in is intended for seahorses and doesn't have enough surface area, so I'm starting up this new one.

I've heard that mushroom leather corals make good anemone-substitutes for clowns... Also that a clay flower pot is a good idea... Since I never really planned on having clownfish, I really don't know what I want to put in this tank once it's settled... I only have 20watts of lighting for a 10g tank... So looking for things that would fit and aren't too hard for a beginner...

Thanks!

-Jennifer

I believe you mean a toadstool leather aka Sarcophyton. Yes depending on the clown they sometimes may host it. They have been known to host other corals as well, but it's mostly hit and miss.

Archived