Top Shelf Aquatics

Attn: 5.5 owners, hood & base

glazer

I was asked to build a hood and base trim for a 5.5 gallon tank per customers specs. Well I went to work on it right away only to get an email saying they wanted it changed... was easier for me to make another then rework this one.

Hood fits over trim of a 5.5 gallon tank, inside there is 5" from top edge of tank to inside top of hood. Total height of hood is 6 1/2 inches. Base is 1 1/8" plywood with 2 1/8 " trim... this covers plastic molding on tank.

Base trim and hood are solid black walnut... pic shows it unfinished. Wood has some gorgeous graining, figure and coloring to it... it will be BEAUTIFUL when finish is applied.

Price as is, bare wood is $80, stained and multiple topcoats with catalyzed lacquer is $120. I'll pick up the shipping anywhere in the continental U.S.

Still for sale and wanted to update the pic...

I thought it looked a little "boxy" as it was so added some more trim work to top and bottom.

BTW, the scotch DOES NOT come with it!....lol :P

Hood and base are sold.

This was for a 5.5 gallon and you can see what I made for a 2.5 gallon on my thread "... 2.5 is born"

If anyone else is interested I can make another, walnut,oak or mahogany, your choice. I prefer to make these setups for nano-sized tanks (2.5 to 25 gallon) but more than willing to discuss something larger with you.

If you're interested PM me or shoot me an e-mail..

furniturefinisher@hotmail.com

Thanks to all that looked and inquired,

Steve

To all those that pm'd me or emailed me about "the finished product" here's a couple pics.

As stated before this IS sold but if you are interested in one just give me a shout.

Thanks,

Steve

If you started to make custom tanks with custom cabnetry you could make a fortune. I made a simple program that calculates the glass thickness needed, it can work with any material as long as I know the tensile strenth rupture psi. I'm sure MANY people here would love to get a custom minibow hood and stand.

Agreed ... there is certainly a nitch out here in the nano community just waiting for someone with talent enough to create tanks and quality stands in our dimensions.

Thanks NN and tg.... I do this stuff in my spare time, work for a furniture mfg here in Chicago. Spare time is becoming a premium as Xmas orders are starting to come in. I am in the process of looking for dwelling/shop space. I had my own business once before but closed it due to circumstances beyond my control. I've decided it's time to get back into it and yes, I do plan on part of my business being devoted to custom aquarium furniture. Also, I plan on building bowfront canopies as well...large and small. Hopefully this will all come about early in the coming year. Wish me luck and thanks for your support and kind words...

Okay, cmore... all smaller pieces, like ten g's and under I use a hot melt glue designed especially for wood... it's strong as hell and FAST... less than a minute to set and no clamping needed, just good fits on your cuts. It's waterproof as well. I get my glue sticks from a woodworking supply house but I have seen similiar (prolly the same stuff) at Menard's... never looked in HD or Lowes but you may want to check them. Larger pieces I use TiteBond glue... is a yellow glue and is available in a waterproof version as well. If you have any questions or think I may be able to help ya out any cmore just shoot me a PM. Good luck with your canopy and put up some pics when your done with it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What kind of router bit did you use to create that moulding? It looks very nice! I'll have to post some pics of the hood and base for my Betta tank once it is stained :-) Don't think it will be as nice as yours though.

Archived