ReefCleaners.org

My new ADA 60f rimless nano

jlado13

Here are some pics of the overflow and plumbing.  It's a Glass Holes Nano Box (toothless) and return.

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

how loud is that over flow? have you had it running with a power head to see if there is any sloshing into the over flow?

2 hours ago, dropped said:

how loud is that over flow? have you had it running with a power head to see if there is any sloshing into the over flow?

No sloshing sounds caused by the power head.  The power head is rated at 476gph I think.  There is a slight bit of gurgling, but I think it's from a combination of not valve-regulating my return yet and still figuring out how to quiet the drop into the sump..  That's what I'm working on right now.  My return pump is a Rio Plus 1400(probably pushing the over flow a little too hard).

Ok, I got the noise figured out.  I ran my drain tubing slightly under the waterline and threw a valve on the return.  Almost SILENT now.  You can hear a small trickle if your sitting at the tank but the hum of my skimmer is much louder.  

I also cut two small strips of acrylic and placed them on top of the overflow to close it off to livestock.  I'll post those pics shortly.

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

Here are the acrylic strips on top of the overflow.  There's still a decent air gap between the weir and acrylic strips so I'm assuming all should be good.  I'd rather leave the top open, but this at least beats a snail getting into the box cause the box is so small.

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

11 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Those slats on the overflow make me feel better too ?

I prefer the swirling black chasm of doom

Really cool!  Got any video of it running?  Would like to see the flow you have and the water going into the overflow.  Good idea on the slats.  

So you sumped this set-up because of the new skimmer?    Were you having any issues or just wanted to add the skimmer?  Great birthday gift btw.

1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

Really cool!  Got any video of it running?  Would like to see the flow you have and the water going into the overflow.  Good idea on the slats.  

So you sumped this set-up because of the new skimmer?    Were you having any issues or just wanted to add the skimmer?  Great birthday gift btw.

I'll take a video and post it.  Thanks, I was racking my brain with mesh and gutter guard then stumbled across the acrylic idea.

The skimmer and I was having major cyano problems.  I was doing weekly water changes, but I don't think the volume was enough.  I was doing 30-40%.  Obviously didn't have a heavy bio load either, and I would target feed my YCG once ever 2-3 days.  

There was nothing skimming the surface since I didn't have a filter and I think excess nutrients were building up in the top layer.  Long story short, a sump would allow me to attack all of the above, make maintenance easier, and allow me to run a ball of chaeto in the middle chamber(which I still need to buy).

Thanks!  I appreciate it. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.  I get what your saying about your situation and how a sump would help with all that.  

There are so many points of view on skimmers on these nano tanks.  In one post I'll read about what's the best one for a certain tank/set-up and then the next post I'll read that they aren't needed on small tanks at all and that the best skimmer is a water change!  I guess everyone's situation is different and it depends on several factors and personal preference.  

I've also been geeking out recently about posts on sumps, how they work, how they are plumbed, lighted, wired, organized, what to run in each section, etc. It's cool that they can be DIY like yours up to super high-end. 

22 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I took a short video but I can't upload it..  

I got another 1" bulkhead and attached it to my sock mount for the drain.  Connected a 1" barb on the sock side of the bulkhead for the hose drain into the sock...  I had previously just shoved a piece of 3/4" tubing into the 1" fitting, which was ultimately restricting the drain.  Now the water drop into the sump is A LOT quieter.

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

29 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

If you're able to upload the video to Youtube or Vimeo, those can be embedded here just by pasting the video page link into the editor.

Cool.  I'm headed out to work, so I'll try and do that when I get home in the morning.

On 3/8/2017 at 5:48 PM, Christopher Marks said:

If you're able to upload the video to Youtube or Vimeo, those can be embedded here just by pasting the video page link into the editor.

Here it is.  I filled a gallon of water off my return and it filled up right at about a minute(60gph).  My total tank volume is about 13.5 gallons, so the sump turnover rate seems to be slightly under 5x.

My Tunze Nano Stream is rated for 476gph so my DT turnover should be about 40x (536gph).

5 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

Thanks for posting the video!  It's quiet and plenty of flow.  I like how small and unobtrusive that overflow box is. 

No problem.  Finding something small was a big priority because I didn't wanna ruin the clean, simple design of the ADA.  So far I'm 100% satisfied with choosing Glass Holes.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived