Cultivated Reef

Inkbird Temperature Controller ITC-308 Review

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

First of all, thanks to Inkbird for having the fathers day giveaway of this controller. I maintain my dad’s 300g-cichloid tank that in the past crashed due to a faulty heater- so since then temperature has been allowed to swing from 73-78 daily.

The Inkbird temperature controller is a simple answer to any aquarist looking to maintain a stable temperature and/or have redundancy on their heater. In addition, because this controller both has a “Heater” and “Cooler” outlet, you can use any fan as a makeshift chiller when the temperature gets above optimal- but be prepared for more evaporation.

The instruction manual is well written and in depth, perfect for someone like myself who is not familiar with functions such as “Heating differential” and “Compressor Delay”.

Here is the instruction manual online: http://ink-bird.com/asset/file/ITC-308%20V2.1%20EN.pdf

7B54E234-6244-4CA3-B9BC-EBE255BC213E_zps

I am using a JBJ 1000 Watt Titanium Heating Element with this controller on the cichlid tank with nothing plugged into the “Chiller” outlet because the cichlid tank tends to run cold. It seems like a well-made piece of equipment; the temperature matches that of my Apex and mercury thermometers and the bright display shows both the current temperature and the set value, along with LED indications on whether the heater or chiller is active. The display is on 24/7, which is fine as it is in the stand but perhaps that would bother someone if mounted externally. The probe is removable via an audio jack style connection, allowing you to snake the wire through small holes in your stand if necessary.

Ive found this controller to be higher quality than the more expensive JBJ True-Temp controller that it replaced (which failed), and am sure that the increased stability will be beneficial to the tanks inhabitants :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

thanks Harrypotter

it's rare in this hobby to buy something and have it actually work like it's supposed to.. so here's the deal.

I bought a crappy heater (no thermostat) for my ADA 60F, and was going to do a DIY fan like I did on my 25 Lagoon (wish I would have bought one for that to start with)..

but I gave the Inkbird a shot.

I ordered a cheap little petzilla fan and the IB from amazon. set it up on the cooling side, plugged my heater in, and set the temp..

this thing works sweet! it's quality out of the box... 5 stars thanks!

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

nope, no corrosion at all.. 

actually the best purchase I've made IMO

I don't see why you couldn't plug just a heater in, but I think they have a cheaper version available that has only one plugin/shutoff. shoot inkbird a message

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, trelopoulos said:

I just order one,watching videos with ppl making DIY controllers but this plug and play looks cool and easy!

you won't regret it, so far its performance has been solid

• Like 1

I just got one of these controllers! I'm going to use it with a Cobalt Neo Therm 75w heater.

What's the best way to maintain consistent water temp?

1. Set the range on the Inkbird so that the heater maintains the temp and the Inkbird just protects it from heating past a certain temp?  

2. Use the inkbird to turn the heater off and on - which would have the temp fluctuate by 1 degree at a minimum (heating differential is in 1 degree increments with 1 degree being the smallest).  

6 minutes ago, SeaFurn said:

I just got one of these controllers! I'm going to use it with a Cobalt Neo Therm 75w heater.

What's the best way to maintain consistent water temp?

1. Set the range on the Inkbird so that the heater maintains the temp and the Inkbird just protects it from heating past a certain temp?  

2. Use the inkbird to turn the heater off and on - which would have the temp fluctuate by 1 degree at a minimum (heating differential is in 1 degree increments with 1 degree being the smallest).  

Want to know this as well. But I sure would set the heater to at least 2 degrees up the desired temp and let the inkbird turn it on/off. So if any malfunctions, I'll have it safe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
6 hours ago, Hecdr34 said:

Any updates or problems with rusting in saltwater? Thank you 

No more problems after I coated the probe with silicone. 

HarryPotter
6 hours ago, Hecdr34 said:

Any updates or problems with rusting in saltwater? Thank you 

Not at all! I have it running on my new 300 gallon reef, with an apex in case it goes haywire with the 1000w heater. So far the apex cutoff has not kicked in 🙂 

1 hour ago, SeaFurn said:

No more problems after I coated the probe with silicone. 

That's a good idea. I just ordered one and I'm going to use plastic dip to protect it from rusting.