Top Shelf Aquatics

the new guy

Mcamp25

msparklym13

Coral will typically do better at closer to 80 degrees.

Funny you say that- I FREAKED when tank hit 81 last week.... my house doesn't have AC so tank just hangs with our temperature since it doesn't change much. But at 81 I started worrying... good to know :-) thanks Seabass!!

I've used these heaters before and they are set a like 76. My lfs has adjustable heaters that I'm going to use. Along with a wide array of knowledge. I just like to get more than one opinion on things so I can have a truly rewarding experience

Funny you say that- I FREAKED when tank hit 81 last week.... my house doesn't have AC so tank just hangs with our temperature since it doesn't change much. But at 81 I started worrying... good to know :-) thanks Seabass!!

So your tank's temp can go from 74 to 81 degrees. Stability is possibly more important than the actual temp. In your case, I'd set a heater to 78 to help reduce the swings.

81 degrees is fine. If stable, temps as high as 84 degrees can typically be tolerated well.

So try to get most of the decaying matter off the rock and then put it in my tank. I'm going to set it up tonight if that's what I should do

If you like the size and shape of this rock (and don't want to shell out more $ for new rock), yes. I'd probably continue to brush the rock off (with a vegetable brush or toothbrush) while it's curing.

And since it isn't live rock, I wouldn't worry too much about not doing water changes while the cycle becomes established. I wouldn't just change the water, as I would siphon out any detritus and replace the lost water with fresh saltwater.

They have:

• Fiji Pink (0.5 - 1.5mm grain size)
  • Special Grade Reef Sand (1.0 - 2.0 mm)
  • Bahamas Oolite (0.1 - 1.0 mm)
  • Hawaiian Black (0.25-3.5mm)
  • Indo-Pacific Black (0.2 - 2.0 mm)
  • Bimini Pink Sand (0.2 - 2.2 mm)

They can differ pretty greatly in appearance and grain size. I was just curious.

So it's been like 9 days since I set this up. My ammonia is at .50 my nitrite is as high as the test reads at 5.0 and the nitrate is at 20 ppm. It's th api test btw. PH is 8.4. Does this sounds like it should be after 9 days? I haven't done anything besides put the live rock I got when I bought it in after I washed and scrubbed it. It was pretty much white when it went in but now some rocks have purple on them.

So it's been like 9 days since I set this up. My ammonia is at .50 my nitrite is as high as the test reads at 5.0 and the nitrate is at 20 ppm. It's th api test btw.

API is fine for these parameters. However, their phosphate kit is a high range kit, so I wouldn't use that for your reef tank.

Does this sounds like it should be after 9 days?

No cycle is the same as another; however, this doesn't sound unusual at all to me.

Archived