ReefCleaners.org

RETRO - Bluefish mixed up moonlights control limes & no fan control?

Simulated Fish

Simulated Fish

Hello all, i got the new v3.1 array on Dave's retro for my 8g cube. I got the small retro plus dedicated moonlight channel.

Everything seems to work out great, but the settings in the bluefish app seem incorrect.

The settings seem to be as follows:

• "Royal Blue" slider controls Ch. 3 - four Royal blue
  • "White/Lime" slider controls Ch. 1 - two Warm White and one Neutral White
  • "Violet" slider controls Ch.4 - two Violet
  • "Cyan/Blue" slider controls Ch. 5 - one Cyan and one Blue
  • "Moonlight" slider controls Ch. 2 - two Lime
  • "Fan" slider controls the separate board with dedicated moonlight

I'm not sure how to set this up to work correctly. I would really like to have fan controls because as of now I do not!

The channel controls as they appear in the bluefish app can be seen here:

kuuQOe3.png

jedimasterben

You can rename the channels within the app. Do the fans spin at all when any channel is on?

Simulated Fish

You can rename the channels within the app. Do the fans spin at all when any channel is on?

The fan spins weather all channels are on and off it looks like David wired it in directly with the incoming power line and ground.

With the way the new array Works its five channels in the Moon light which is the 6th Channel so I'm guessing the Bluefish can only handle 6 channels? Which is why David has it wired directly to always be on.

I went ahead and set it up to have generic Bluefish instead of the nanobox and then retro settings. And then renaming all the channels for the correct corresponding LED color. It will work and I'm very happy with the quality of the LED array and heatsink. But I'd really like to have the Nano retro settings as far as color, intensity, and ramp up and down times.

Here's a photo showing where the fan connects to the driver board. I am holding the two leads for the fan.

post-89131-0-88098700-1465519732_thumb.jpg

Simulated Fish

Just in case anyone was wondering, the retro in a biocube 8g is a VERY tight fit for these drivers. There is no room underneath the reflector for the drivers. I ended up having to bend back the thin sheet reflecter, and mounting the drivers on top and the bluefish on the under side.

I just used some 3M foam spacer so the boards don't sit on the reflector, just to be safe. The bluefish is mounted in the same way on the underside. Downside is if I need to get to the SIM card to reset it off to pull it all out, luckily it's easy to take apart.

post-89131-0-95528700-1465522697_thumb.jpgpost-89131-0-26005100-1465522771_thumb.jpg

jedimasterben

If you want the fan controlled, then you'll need to solder it into the pins in front of the small black 'driver' labeled SCW. There are two solder points on one side and I think six on the other, it is on the side with two points. The side closest to the edge of the board is positive, the other is negative. This will activate fan control on CH6 of the Mini.

Simulated Fish

If you want the fan controlled, then you'll need to solder it into the pins in front of the small black 'driver' labeled SCW. There are two solder points on one side and I think six on the other, it is on the side with two points. The side closest to the edge of the board is positive, the other is negative. This will activate fan control on CH6 of the Mini.

I'm not quite sure I know where your talking about on the board.

My moonlights are on ch 6 can I run both on the same channel?

If so would running it with the white channel be best? That way the fan ramps up with the whites? Since this is when the LEDs would be putting out the most heat.

My guess is you don't have the fan control option. To my knowledge, the fan control option was always an additional upgrade, not a standard option for the previous V3 arrays. I have the last generation V3 arrays in my retro that have 4 channel control plus moonlight. I paid extra for the fan control option so my 6th channel on the 6up board is driven by the SCW driver running the fan. The new v3.1 are 5 channel (white and lime are now separated) with your 6th channel on the 6up board being the moonlight channel. I'm thinking the Nanobox quick settings in the Bluefish App haven't been updated yet to reflect these changes for the additional lime control channel in the new V3.1 arrays. Just go into channel settings in the Bluefish App and rename the channels accordingly.

Just to clear a few things up and I will include on the website.

• Retro units do NOT include fan control - I do this only because I need to make 100% sure it is running correctly. With the retros for AIO being placed inside a enclosed hood running them limited could cause issues down the road.
  • New 3.1 will still have the same control
  • The RETRO preset is being changed as it not correct right now ( just found this! )

Hello all, i got the new v3.1 array on Dave's retro for my 8g cube. I got the small retro plus dedicated moonlight channel.

Everything seems to work out great, but the settings in the bluefish app seem incorrect.

The settings seem to be as follows:

• "Royal Blue" slider controls Ch. 3 - four Royal blue
  • "White/Lime" slider controls Ch. 1 - two Warm White and one Neutral White
  • "Violet" slider controls Ch.4 - two Violet
  • "Cyan/Blue" slider controls Ch. 5 - one Cyan and one Blue
  • "Moonlight" slider controls Ch. 2 - two Lime
  • "Fan" slider controls the separate board with dedicated moonlight

I'm not sure how to set this up to work correctly. I would really like to have fan controls because as of now I do not!

The channel controls as they appear in the bluefish app can be seen here:

Yours being a bit different as you wanted a custom RETRO with six channels. The Bluefish Mini can only control six PWM outputs. With the five channels you wanted and extra with the moonlight you are maxed out.

Shoot me over your user name/password and I will take care of the labeling for you.

Hope this helps and thanks guys!

-Dave

Simulated Fish

Okay that it what I thought. No worries lack of fan control is DEFINITELY not a deal breaker I am extremely pleased with this array and love the setup!

I will be getting another in the future without hesitation Dave!

As for the bluefish I just went into the settings and tweaked the. To my liking, renamed the channels and all that jazz. Can someome post the default nanobox intensity settings for morning,midday,and evening on the bluefish? I'd like to see what color blend they ship with :)

Thanks guys!

Archived