ReefCleaners.org

New Nano

Cesar

Well ever since coming into this website I have found myself wanting a Nano tank. I have regular tanks, 20, 60 and 100G. Now I want to buy a Nano. Do they require the same treatment as my regular tanks? Is the cycle for a nano the same as a regular tank? I am buying a Nano from Dr fosters, and to my understanding the Nano tank comes with a filtration system already on the back of the tank and it comes with power compact lights. Usually whenever I cycle my tanks it takes about 4 weeks because of it's size. Will a 12 gallon Nano be the same? I plan to put live sand, live rock, and damsel for the cycle process.

id advise against the damsel in a nano tank, it may take a little longer to cycle the tank but the aggresiveness of a damsel can turn into huge problems down the road if it is the first fish.

dont even get the raw shrimp. just put in the live rock and leave it be. it takes a little bit longer, but its cheaper and kinder and you will get more biodiversity in the tank if you dont add to the ammonia mess. trust me you will have plenty from the LR alone.

I've seen at my LFS that they had a Nano running on it's counter and noticed that they had LR and 2 Clowns. It seemed to me that they had just placed that Nano there because I go there every Monday and I never seen it. Does that mean it's possible to cycle a tank in a matter of a week?

Yes, you could, if you have very nice, established live rock.

It might not even cycle at all.....I never did show any ammonia or nitrite.

But, still wait a few weeks to let the tank do it's thing. You will have more success if you let it go a month before you add any fish, etc.

Archived