Pod Your Reef

Heaviest Live Sand?

NYfishies

Hi all,

I need your recommendation on what is the heaviest sand I can put in my tank. It is a small display with a MP10 running at 45% and the 10 or so pounds of sand (fine) currently in there has blown into its natural place. This has left valleys of bare bottom glass which I would like to fill in with heavier sand which will not blow.

Best I have found so far is Florida Crushed Coral Arag-Alive! Live Reef Sand.

Thanks for your advice! This is going in my Zoa garden in my sig below.

:D:):happydance::bowdown:

Tropic Eden Grand Select is not live but IMO it's the best sand on the market. It's on the bigger side but looks soooooooo goooooood.

Simulated Fish

Tropic Eden Grand Select is not live but IMO it's the best sand on the market. It's on the bigger side but looks soooooooo goooooood.

I agree 100% they have large sizes too that really help with dust storms.

• 4 weeks later...

Premium Aquatics is the only place that carries it. This is the one I got a bag of recently.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/tropic-eden-reeflakes-grand-select-30lbs.html

That's the biggest one in terms of flake size.

Dang how did I miss your post! Thank you very much. Ordering now.

Grand select is really big grains. Even a gyre at full speed can't move it :)

That is what I need!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like caribsea fiji pink. Perfect grain size. It never blows around unless I purposely direct the powerhead to it.

I wouldn't go too big a grain size though because it will trap detritus and even with weekly vacuuming, it still happens.

I have 2 tanks.

1 have fiji pink - so nice

The other has the caribsea black hawaiian which is a bigger grain...what a PITA. I vacuum it every week, low bioload, lots of flow and the sand is always trapping stuff in it.

I like caribsea fiji pink. Perfect grain size. It never blows around unless I purposely direct the powerhead to it.

I wouldn't go too big a grain size though because it will trap detritus and even with weekly vacuuming, it still happens.

I have 2 tanks.

1 have fiji pink - so nice

The other has the caribsea black hawaiian which is a bigger grain...what a PITA. I vacuum it every week, low bioload, lots of flow and the sand is always trapping stuff in it.

I stir the sand every 3rd day and vac once or twice a month. This seems to be working. I have not noticed much detritus trapped, but there is a tendency for larger air bubble to trap which if left alone could be bad.

I use the Fiji Pink is our larger tank and enjoy it. Our pistol especially loves it.

Archived