ReefCleaners.org

manual topoff

chufa

Hello. I would appreciate some advice on topping off the water in my 12g eclipse. The hood fits tight, so there is little evaporation. However, how often will I need to add topoff FW? And how should I do it? I was thinking on manually adding a few drops of DI water at a time.

printerdown01

I keep a gallon of fresh water handy... I have just randomly picked a spot in my aquarium and said, when it gets this low, I'm going to add water... I know it doesn't sound very scientific, but it has worked for me... I'm interested to see how others decide when to top off, peoples methods are always so interesting...

As a personal preference I don't like to just pour water in. I have IV type drip set ups on my tanks, and as printerdown said, I just pick a spot in my tank for the water level to be at and adjust the drip accordingly... takes a little "tweaking" now and then but works really well.

harbingerofthefish

I don't like to pour water in either. Since I have an open back I just let the hard end of my siphon tube "hang" through the hole in the lid and siphon it in. As for how much has to leave before I add...I marked the 10% point in my tank for changes so I can sort of eye ball how much is gone at a given point. Yeah real technical I know :rolleyes:

I have a really scientific way to do it.

It looks low......I open the hood and dump RO water in. So far it's been working well since April. I have a float switch but haven't built the top off system yet.

i just pour my distilled h20 ontop of my powerhead as it circulates it quickly. i add water when i wake up for school at 6 am. my 2.5 looses a good amount of water everyday since it has an open back and has a fan blowing across the water on high 24/7. i go through about a gallon a week

tinyreef- i sure do i am in 9th grade school starts at 7 34 inthe morning too early imo but its nice we get out at 2 37. the bus comes at 6 55 and that gives me a while to get ready i cant wait till i get my temps (for driving) in june yahoo no more bus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Hey Deacon Hemp,

What size do you use on the Kent doser? I am interested in using one for my top off. Did you go with the 1400? It would have to be filled more often at less than half a gallon, but the only other step up I saw was to a 2.5 gallon and that seems like it might be tough to keep higher than the tank (unless I pile something up high enough to set it on). What are your thoughts on how well the one you have works and what size is it?

Thanks

I use drip irrigation drippers in my chameleon cages. They drip at a specific rate, and are reasonably accurate. If you ran one of these drippers for a calculated amount of time, you could make up the correct amount of water automatically each day.

Thers is more info on my site:

Chamkeeper.com

Yeah yeah yeah, I thought the same thing when I started off but during the heat of an Atlanta Georgia summer, I add water in the morning and the evening to be safe. I would say it drops a quarter of an inch (or slightly less) over 24 hours even though I don't have any exposed area on the top. I have a fan that runs 24/7 to keep the temp constant at 78 and my heater kicks on from time to time. Otherwise, the tank was initially getting up to around 82-83 during a really hot day even with my air conditioning set at a very comfortable level. The old manual refill gets a little tiresome after awhile. I would just like something to fill that will drip into the tank and that way I could leave for several days without thinking twice.

• 2 weeks later...

hey chufa- I have an eclipse 6 and i just pour water into the filter or next to the powerhead cuz it circulates really quickly, but i do it at about 5 second intervals(waiting for about 30 seconds before i do it again)! works really well:)

Archived