SaltCritters.com

light heat

xien2000corp

xien2000corp

im wondering, ive got plans to set fans in between my mh and the glass above the tank on the upcoming mb7. will this cool the air or will i need to put the fans in between the water and the glass?

i guess what this boils down to is it the heat from the lamp that creates all the heat from our metal halides or is it the energy from the light making the air molecules beyond the protective lens that makes them hot?

-steve

Either way will benefit you. If it's in the "dry" zone, then you vent some of the heat off the bulb and glass before it gets through to the tank. If you vent the "wet" air, you have the benefit/problem of increasing evaporation in the tank. That'll help keep it cooler, but also lower your water level that much faster.

The halides are getting hot. The thermal energy moves to the glass plate via convection, where it crosses via conduction. On the other side, the air around the glass warms up and again moves via convection.. The heat has to "change trains" a couple times to get down there, but it still does.

Archived