inTank Media Baskets

Moving tank semester to semester... Whos in college doing this?

yupuhhuh2

printerdown01

WWWWWWWOOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Another migrating tank!! My tank makes the semianual migration with me too!! ;) First question: how large is your tank???

printerdown01

Ok, I guess you exited the forum... Since I don't know what size tank you have I'll have to tell you what I do with mine... This is the best way to move a nano that I have found so far (5 moves later).

Materials needed to transport my 12 gallon from San Francisco to San Diego (10 hour trip): Styrofoam cooler (like $2), a 5 gallon jug (usually sold at fish stores for either RO/DI or fresh salt water transfer), and Glad Zipper Storage w/ Freeze Protect zip-lock baggies... I use the later because they are VERY thick, and make one hell of a seal at the top!!! <- I still double bag everything just to be safe... I transport eveything together and my LR seems to punch holes through fish tank baggies that hold my corals!!

Start off just like you were taking the tank down...

1)Bag off of your corals! I know this sounds bad, but try putting as little air as possible in your bags with corals! You don't nessicarily have to fill the bags with water (PM me and I will explain how to do this in detail). The reason for this is certain corals i.e. xenia don't seem to do well splashing water (which is will happen if the bag has a signifigant amount of air in it). <- I lost 1/2 of my xenia belfore I leared to do this!! Another thing: ISOLATE CORAL SP in their OWN SEPERATE BAGS!!! DO NOT COMBINE SPECIES IF IT CAN BE AVOIDED!!! The corals will realease toxins when they get stressed... If you keep more than one species in a bag you are looking at one or two dead corals when you arive at your desitnation!!

2) Put all of your LR in baggies too... No need to add water... no need to double bag... just seal'em! This will prevent them from drying out on long drives (did that once too... purchased another piece of rock just to add bacteria to my tank, I was afraid that there wouldn't be enough, and my tank was going to crash -came close too!).

3) Now bag your fish (fish store baggies seem to work VERY well here!

4) Start syponing the tank into the 5 gallon jug (this usually gets almost all of the water out of my 12 gallon!!). It leaves about 3 inces of H20 at the bottom...

5)Put all of your LR in the bottom of your Styrofoam cooler ... then pile in your corals... This keep temp surprisingly level (incase you stop to eat in the desert where it is 100 degrees -like I do). I usually duct-tape the lid closed -no real reason I guess, it is just what I did the first trip to ensure that the lid wouldn't come off and hanvn't change my pattern... Leave the fish bags in the tank if possilbe!! Don't want to risk puncturing them on the LR!!!!

*intermediate tip: bag your powerheads! leave the cords hanging out, but you want to avoid letting sand into the pump! -or just clean them when you get there!!

6) don't forget to seatbelt your tank it!!! Don't want to have it fly forward and dump sand and water in your car!!

7) Do a water change 3 days after you arive! If I think of anything else I'll let you know!!

Well as of right now its not really all that stocked so all the steps that you gave will all work great. My school is only about 2 hours away so ur method shoud be great. One question though, when you moved the sand bed did you get any nusence algae outbreaks? Im asking because that what the LFS guy said, but hes a bit shady. Thanks again

printerdown01

eeehhhhh....... Keep in mind that you are going to be disrupting the bacteria in your sand bed... If you have a sand bed deeper than 1 inch chances are that a lot of your denitification is happening in you sand bed. By swishing it around the bacteria layers are going to get mixed up... some of the bacteria that can only grow on the top layer will end up on the bottom and visa versa. Thus, you will have die-off, and a SMALL shortage of bacteria in your sand. CAN this cause a small out break, possibly. I notice that I get a little golden brown algae, looks like daitoms, on the top of my sand. Not a big deal, it isn't massive and it goes away quickly. -Now I said it looks like diatoms, if I had to actually guess I would say that it is probably primarily made up of cyano. This stuff is a bit better at breaking down nutrients. -Just an educated guess... never really thought about it much, since it is so light and goes away so quickly. I certainly wouldn't expect to get a major algae bloom!! If you do you probably did something a little more to the tank. I really don't think you will have a problem with traveling 2 hours!!! I spend 2 hours worth of breaks on my trip ;)... You should be just fine...

If you have an inch or less of sand, I'd just leave it in place, and transport the tank on a hard surface, such as a piece of plywood. For a deeper sandbed, you'll need to take some sand out, but I'd still leave the bottom inch or so in, to avoid mixing the sand too much.

Hey next week I have to move my 20 gal down the hall to a new office. If I just drain it down a bit without taking corals out. An then put a piece of plywood under it.

Is there anything else I should know? I want to take out as little as possible.

printerdown01

Sounds like a good plan to me! -As long as your rock is EXTREAMLY stable! Remember that things out of water weigh a lot more than they do in water. So your rocks will be sujected to more preasure than normal, and thus might slip. If you are planning to collapse your rock work before the move, you won't have to worry about this. -in short, just be carful as to not have your rocks come crashing down on your corals...

Archived