SaltCritters.com

Bamzam 12g long

Bamzam

Well...as I made the change to making my own salt water, which was a different brand than the mix I was buying from the LFS, I struggled a bit to stabilize my alk levels. It has only been a few weeks but I think I've got it under control now. The bad news is that my torch corals did not survive the transition. I removed the dead skeletons from the tank and everything seems to be thriving again.

When I first started this tank, the initial 6 months-1 year was going to be a trial period for me. I wanted to see what kind of maintenance was required and if I could handle a nano reef since this would be my first salt water tank. It's safe to say I'm pretty hooked and I'm even considering selling my fresh water tanks so I could focus solely on this one lol. I've decided to go all in. In addition to the RO/DI and upgrading my lights, I added an Apex classic controller and started dosing 2 part ESV with BRS dosers. With the growth I'm getting from my digis, I decided to give acros a try to see how they color up/if they survive in my tank. I'm starting with frags of RR Grape Juice, ORA Red Planet and ORA Red Dragon. Also, finally added another clown so that my clown could have a buddy.

FTS:

Kh1opy3l.jpg

Acro frags on my new Oceanbox frag rack:

v2i86zGl.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 years later...

I dont know if its because I got back to regular maintenance on my tank...or maybe because a month ago I decided to drop a bottle of copepods in my tank...but all or a sudden my previously slow growing pc rainbow is sprouting branches everywhere.

I originally got copepods because I tried out a six line wrasse. That didn't work out too well...he tried killing both my clowns after about a month. But could it have been the copepods that helped my coral grow? 

20200628_234116.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure what changed, but after a few years one clown decided to move into my utter chaos colony.  Hes been hanging out in there and rubbing against the utter chaos the past few days 

20200701_155532.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Can't get a good pic with my phone, but i want to log the beginning of a piece I hope turns out great. One polyp of SBB marvin the martian.  Hope it doesnt blow away!

20200701_150935.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Christopher Marks
On 7/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, Bamzam said:

Not sure what changed, but after a few years one clown decided to move into my utter chaos colony.  Hes been hanging out in there and rubbing against the utter chaos the past few days 

20200701_155532.jpg

That's definitely less common! Did it start before or after the torch coral was added to the tank? 

Is the reef four years old now @Bamzam? That's really great.

Yup, same tank and clowns. Thanks! It has somehow survived all my learning experiences lol. Tons of lost coral later, I learned stability really is key. I stopped dosing, and am just doing a single 20-30% water change a week. 

They started hosting in the zoas after the torch was added, but not sure if those 2 events are related...they never used to host in anything before. Blurry pic but here's the clown getting comfy in there the other day

20200712_122209.jpg

• Like 1