Coral Vue Hydros

Clown with open mouth

Clown79

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this thread, it took one clownfish that was hosting a frogspawn about 5 days to close its mouth. Hopefully it will recover soon. I wouldn't worry.

I'm not sure if its a sting anymore.

There is a tiny bump just above its fin and then a white fuzzy spot behind the fin. These were not there yesterday.

I tried taking a pic, the spot comes out pink in the pic

post-91001-0-74517600-1463769210_thumb.jpg

post-91001-0-66288800-1463769257_thumb.jpg

Thank you. I am lost on this one.

The 1 white fluff was gone within a few mins so I think it was nothing.

The little bump is still there as well as the mouth issues.

The clown rarely leaves the frogspawn area but still eating very well.

Its not ich, not velvet, not brook.

Sorry!

Mouth is still open. Clown still active, eating, swimming well.

There is nothing on her body either. Besides her gaping mouth, you would never know there was an issue.

She is more aggressive now. Tried attacking my arm during water change.lol. with an open mouth!

• 2 weeks later...
North Borders

She might be getting stung repeatedly. Their nature is oftentimes too strong to overcome and they get repeatedly stung. Any chance of moving the frogspawn and putting some sort of 'replacement' in it's place? Torch coral? Hammer? Anemone? Xenia or GSP?

As long as she's active, eating, and attacking you, I think she'll be fine. When my clown goes up against something that's too much for her (my coralife gloves), she stays away. If she's still trying to use the frogspawn as a host she's determined, and the stinging isn't enough of a deterrent. Her slime coat should adjust over time.

Lol. Man is she ever a feisty one now. She was such a calm clown until i got her a boyfriend!

She attacks me and everything else that goes near her frogspawn. She smacked a nassarius yesterday with her tail repeatedly- got too close.

She's better. Mouth isn't gaping anymore, just a wee bit open but otherwise she's good.

I keep monitoring her but so far so good.

Hammerstone

Happy to hear!!! Clowns are so funny. Mine likes to tail slap my sins when I feed them along with the turkey Baster so I put a little fish net between her and what iam doing. She won't get near the evil net!!!

Suns not sins, stupid auto correct lol

Auto correct= corrects nothing. Lol

Thank you all for checking in and helping me out.

Clowns are so wacky. What a personality change going from single to mated!

She simply puts up with nothing now, she is definitely bossy and they simply refuse to leave the frogspawn area and forbid anything to go near it. Lol. Goofs.

She will be 1 yr soon in my tank.

how old was she when you added a second clown? How do you know she's a she and he's a he? I want to add a second but I thought the first would be too territorial unless you add them together when they are young. My Percula is 3 1/2 years old.

How do you know she's a she and he's a he? I want to add a second but I thought the first would be too territorial unless you add them together when they are young. My Percula is 3 1/2 years old.

An almost surefire way to add another clownfish of the same species is to add a notably smaller juvenile. This way, it will be clear which one is dominant, while ensuring that you are not introducing a female.

An almost surefire way to add another clownfish of the same species is to add a notably smaller juvenile. This way, it will be clear which one is dominant, while ensuring that you are not introducing a female.

so they all start out as males and one changes?

so they all start out as males and one changes?

Basically.

They all start out as juveniles, the most dominant adult becomes a female, the other adults will be male. In the absence of any females, the most dominant male becomes female. However, females cannot turn into males. And two females will fight to defend their territory (which in the case of a nano tank, is the whole tank). Also, it is very difficult to keep more than a single pair in a nano tank.

Hammerstone

how old was she when you added a second clown? How do you know she's a she and he's a he? I want to add a second but I thought the first would be too territorial unless you add them together when they are young. My Percula is 3 1/2 years old.

if your clown has been alone for that long you can bet it's a female. Just buy a small one, definite size difference, which would be a juvenile and therefore a male, and put them together. There will be tussling most likely as he must submit to her before she will accept him.

My female was a year long in my tank. She tried to kill him at first so I put her on time out in a large fish net suspended by the lid. The little male stayed by her side the whole time. I didn't want to stress her out so it was just like a minute or two. Then when I released her they stayed together ever since. It's going on two years together.

Also he will perform a submission dance where he gets on his side and shutters, quivers, looks like convulsing lol. It's just saying I submit to you.

My clown was about 10mnths without a mate.

She was super friendly with my

blennies(both gone) but her personality changed when I added the second clown. They paired off immediately, a tiny bit of aggression but nothing serious.

She's become territorial since they started hosting the frogspawn. She will lightly go after the male but no serious aggression, he does his dance and she's happy..with me, she attacks all the time now, she charges and bites. She swats at the hermits and snails too.

Knowing the clown was alone for 10mnths, I purchased a smaller clown to make sure I didn't end up with 2 females.

Hammerstone

My female went psycho when they started mating. She killed anything that moved. Including my CUC.? She bites me but not as bad as her going after the turkey Baster lol. It's a good thing I love her a lot and her mate. It's their own 30 gallon paradise lol. A long time ago I saw a fry!!! At first I thought it was a mysis but it was going opposite of the current. Then o noticed its eye!!! Made me happier than anything. Never saw it again though.

My clown was about 10mnths without a mate.

She was super friendly with my

blennies(both gone) but her personality changed when I added the second clown. They paired off immediately, a tiny bit of aggression but nothing serious.

She's become territorial since they started hosting the frogspawn. She will lightly go after the male but no serious aggression, he does his dance and she's happy..with me, she attacks all the time now, she charges and bites. She swats at the hermits and snails too.

Knowing the clown was alone for 10mnths, I purchased a smaller clown to make sure I didn't end up with 2 females.

Are your blennies gone because of her? I have a blenny that burrows near her toadstool, I wouldn't want her to go after him. Maybe getting her a mate at this stage of the game is not such a good idea after all?

My female went psycho when they started mating. She killed anything that moved. Including my CUC. She bites me but not as bad as her going after the turkey Baster lol. It's a good thing I love her a lot and her mate. It's their own 30 gallon paradise lol. A long time ago I saw a fry!!! At first I thought it was a mysis but it was going opposite of the current. Then o noticed its eye!!! Made me happier than anything. Never saw it again though.

Thanks for the input. Rethinking my position

No. She never went after the blennies. She actually swam with them peacefully. They were buddies...the blenny was far more territorial and aggressive. Bit me all the time, picked up hermits and spit them away, the blenny would go after the clown when it was in its area. The clown never went after the blennies.

After each blenny loss she acted anti social, wouldn't even swim around just hovered in one area.

Her behaviour changed 2 weeks after i got her mate- when they hosted the frogspawn the territorial behaviour started.

Archived