Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Please help me find a fish for 25 gallon reef

neowind712

neowind712

Hey guys I am having a hard time deciding on a new fish for my IM 25 Lagoon reef tank. My wife and daughter are asking me to get a colorful fish that swims around a lot. So I have been searching around and not many fish meet that criteria that will fit into a 25 gallon aquarium. So I was hoping someone could help me out. Here is what I am looking for:

* Colorful fish (pink or purple would be nice)
* Swims around and doesn't hide to much
* Will live in a 25 gallon aquarium
* Low likelihood of jumping as I do not run a cover

Currently I have a Starry Blenny and two tiny green banded gobies in the tank. Hoping someone can suggest something that fits these criteria, although something may not exist. I thought Royal Gramma would be the answer but I have been reading that they hide constantly. I tried a clownfish and he decided to host the glass and just hung out upside down almost and started biting me every time I was working on my coral. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Elizabeth94

I personally love my orchid dotty back. It was very skittish in the beginning but he is always out during the day. However, they do like to dig in the sand. Only add it if it is your last fish. They may be territorial with other fish that are the same shape. Mine is fine with my cardinal. Not sure how it would be with a blenny.

I have a royal gramma in my other tank and he was neat. Mine was pretty active once it settled in for a week or two.

A swissguard basslet is another idea. Not quite pink but still neat fish.

tdannhauser30

Six line wrasse would fit the colors but is also pretty shy.. However I wouldn't let a fish being shy deter you from it. Most after some time getting comfortable in your tank will come out with out any problems

Pinner Reef

Blackcap basslett might fit the bill... Also a bit timid however.

Purple firefish may be a jumper.

umm

Pink strip wrasse could jump as well.

You can make lids extremely cheap from window screen frames and that clear plastic mesh

My royal gramma did not hide once settled but wasn't a super active swimmer, more like hover than swim.

Active fish that swim a lot also tend to be more prone to jump, comes with being active.

dpoltsdsu

A 6 line wrasse is your best bet in my opinion. They are super active and swim (not hover) around the tank. Aggression shouldn't be an issue with the stock you have in there

I think most fish can be jumpers. I've read of clowns jumping. There are a few "known" jumpers

Purple firefish are beautiful, mine swam around a lot. One of my fav fish but not to be mixed with aggressive fish.

Royal dottyback, I have one and its awesome! It is known to be aggressive though.

neowind712

I am leaning toward a royal gramma pretty heavily. Do you think it would have any issues with a Starry Blenny?

Pinner Reef

I am leaning toward a royal gramma pretty heavily. Do you think it would have any issues with a Starry Blenny?

Nope... only other Basslets

neowind712

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went with a Royal Gramma and a Banghai Cardinal. Both seem to be doing good with only a few issues between the Starry Blenny and Gramma so far.

Is the fish a royal gramma or royal gramma dottyback. Both look similar but one is far more aggressive and territorial than the other.

post-91001-0-17372600-1462637466.jpg

post-91001-0-37979100-1462637475_thumb.jpg

Archived