Innovative Marine Aquariums

Softies not growing?

dandelion

Cencalfishguy56

The challenge of running a mixed reef tank is you end up with corals who have different needs. If your SPS are growing well then it makes sense that your softies are not, your tank has more ideal conditions for the SPS it sounds like.

this! Sps like clean water while softies like dirty water, hard to grow both at the same time

Yes, large frequent water changes do make testing almost completely unnecessary. It's a valid method of export of organics and nutrients, while replacing consumed elements. The method is popular with many Pico owners (but becomes less feasible as tanks get larger).

Unbound phosphate might be undetectable (by most hobby test kits) on natural reefs, but I assure you that's it's not absolute zero. Lack of phosphate would be a limiting factor for phytoplankton, macro algae, certain bacteria, etc. While typically much lower in phosphate than our reef tanks, some phosphate is still present on natural reefs.

Corals (with their symbiotic algae) have been found to utilize phosphate for energy (growth). Although, high levels can negatively affect the density of coral skeletons.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/increased-phosphate-levels-increase-growth-rate-in-acropora-muricata

https://reefbuilders.com/2011/12/05/acropora-phosphate-growth/

In natural reefs, corals have a more diverse and constant supply of food. This is hard to replicate in our reef tanks, making phosphate a more important nutrient. This is often demonstrated as reef keepers use carbon dosing to create ultra-low nutrient systems. Without dosing amino acids and feeding, SPS coral becomes pale and unhealthy.

You see a similar effect when you quickly reduce the phosphate level of a tank with high phosphate levels. The corals become energy deprived and unhealthy as their energy source was quickly withdrawn.

I'm not promoting high phosphate levels in reef tanks, just recognizing that it is an important nutrient in our tanks. If you feed your tank anything, you are introducing some phosphate into the system.

Your tank works because you are not using aggressive phosphate reducing media. And while phosphate might not be detectable by your test kit, it is still present in your tank.

this too
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dandelion

LOL let's not argue here. Daily water change isn't feasible for me so I guess what I'll do is get some better tests and go from there. My corals aren't dying they're just not growing very much so there is no urgency.

I don't trust LFS(there is one in my city and not trustworthy) and its not free here. They will only test ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I prefer doing it myself and keeping a log.

25%-50% daily water change on a pico is feasible.

most ppl with more than 5g tanks its very unrealistic and not cheap to do daily water changes. Water bills or buying water makes it costly.

I also think that its an environmental issue wasting all that water when there are water shortages. Can you imagine a 55g doing 50% per day...thats quite a lot of wasted water!

aviator300

If you have to ask I have to ask why you don't know?

AH-HA. I've got this ASSIE NANO guy figured out, He works for the water company Hahah JEERS.

AUSSIE NANO

I am constantly reminded why I stay out of the newbie forums.

A picture of your tank and happy inhabitants please, otherwise please stop trolling.

I merely stated a 50% daily water change is required. That is not trolling.

LOL let's not argue here. Daily water change isn't feasible for me so I guess what I'll do is get some better tests and go from there. My corals aren't dying they're just not growing very much so there is no urgency.

Good luck. Because a 50% weekly change is totally inadequate. Cheers.

AUSSIE NANO

I don't trust LFS(there is one in my city and not trustworthy) and its not free here. They will only test ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. I prefer doing it myself and keeping a log.

25%-50% daily water change on a pico is feasible.

most ppl with more than 5g tanks its very unrealistic and not cheap to do daily water changes. Water bills or buying water makes it costly.

I also think that its an environmental issue wasting all that water when there are water shortages. Can you imagine a 55g doing 50% per day...thats quite a lot of wasted water!

I obtain real seawater that has been filtered and tested from our Australia marine research division. Our Marine aquarium shops have it carted to them. The cost is US$3.00 per 5 gallon container. It's extremely inexpensive and easy to collect and perform a water change with regardless of size of tank. There is no mixing and the salinity and pH is set. Also there is no water wastage as you rightly claim due to to water shortages as it's from the ocean. Plus NO ONE should EVER use mains water as it's full of organics. If you must make artificial seawater only R/O should ever be used. Our marine shops use high quality test kits (not the junk cheap ones) and it's free. In Australia very few aquarists use packet salt mix as each state has it's own marine research division that supplies filtered and tested seawater at a very low cost. Cheers!

Pictures or it didn't happen kid.

I obtain real seawater that has been filtered and tested from our Australia marine research division. Our Marine aquarium shops have it carted to them. The cost is US$3.00 per 5 gallon container. It's extremely inexpensive and easy to collect and perform a water change with regardless of size of tank. There is no mixing and the salinity and pH is set. Also there is no water wastage as you rightly claim due to to water shortages as it's from the ocean. Plus NO ONE should EVER use mains water as it's full of organics. If you must make artificial seawater only R/O should ever be used. Our marine shops use high quality test kits (not the junk cheap ones) and it's free. In Australia very few aquarists use packet salt mix as each state has it's own marine research division that supplies filtered and tested seawater at a very low cost. Cheers!

You ever think it's not that cheap in other places jackass?

I know plenty of Aussie reefers via the RC SPS forums. You're trolling. Toodles.

AUSSIE NANO

AH-HA. I've got this ASSIE NANO guy figured out, He works for the water company Hahah JEERS.

No I don't. I'm actually retired. I have NEVER used mains water for coral propagation due to high levels of dissolved organics. Up until the last decade I have always used R/O water with Tropic Marin salt water mix. Let me re state. I do a 50% daily water change. This website is called nano reef so I was assuming it is a site and forum devoted to nano reef enthusiasts. If this is correct a 50% daily change is quick, simple and inexpensive compared with the alternatives of organic removal treatments, trace element additives and test kits. None of which is required if a 50% daily water change is performed. It's really the most simple way to maintain a nice nano reef with healthy growing corals. Cheers.

Pictures or it didn't happen kid.

You ever think it's not that cheap in other places jackass?

I know plenty of Aussie reefers via the RC SPS forums. You're trolling. Toodles.

I beg your pardon??? I'm 57 years of age as well sir.

AUSSIE NANO

Are you nuts? LOL

unless you meant 25% weekly?

No I am not nuts. This is a nano reef website and forum is it not? Either way a daily 50% water change is how I choose to keep my corals growing without the need of expensive additives, water treatments or test kits. A MIN of 25% a day is what I would advocate. In my 5 gallon nano, a 50% change or 2.5 gallons cost me US$1.50. Cheers.

AUSSIE NANO

Yes, large frequent water changes do make testing almost completely unnecessary. It's a valid method of export of organics and nutrients, while replacing consumed elements. The method is popular with many Pico owners (but becomes less feasible as tanks get larger).

Unbound phosphate might be undetectable (by most hobby test kits) on natural reefs, but I assure you that's it's not absolute zero. Lack of phosphate would be a limiting factor for phytoplankton, macro algae, certain bacteria, etc. While typically much lower in phosphate than our reef tanks, some phosphate is still present on natural reefs.

Corals (with their symbiotic algae) have been found to utilize phosphate for energy (growth). Although, high levels can negatively affect the density of coral skeletons.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/increased-phosphate-levels-increase-growth-rate-in-acropora-muricata

https://reefbuilders.com/2011/12/05/acropora-phosphate-growth/

In natural reefs, corals have a more diverse and constant supply of food. This is hard to replicate in our reef tanks, making phosphate a more important nutrient. This is often demonstrated as reef keepers use carbon dosing to create ultra-low nutrient systems. Without dosing amino acids and feeding, SPS coral becomes pale and unhealthy.

You see a similar effect when you quickly reduce the phosphate level of a tank with high phosphate levels. The corals become energy deprived and unhealthy as their energy source was quickly withdrawn.

I'm not promoting high phosphate levels in reef tanks, just recognizing that it is an important nutrient in our tanks. If you feed your tank anything, you are introducing some phosphate into the system.

Your tank works because you are not using aggressive phosphate reducing media. And while phosphate might not be detectable by your test kit, it is still present in your tank.

There is no phosphate in my tank. None. On a real life reef as I've already stated there is NONE as well. ZERO! My tank works because it gets 50% of its volume changed daily, it has the correct light spectrum and PAR and PUR and it has very high water current and wave pulse action. AND I never keep fish in a coral tank and I certainly do not feed corals invert food as this is totally unnecessary unless one has exclusive filter feeders such as Gorgonians. Cheers!

blasterman

Zoas, shrooms, Xenia and most other softies thrive in water conditions so nasty it will kill SPS. I've had garden tanks with wall to wall zoas and palys, including rare varities like hornets and mauls, and you can see new growth almost daily. Grapefruit sized bunches of gobstoppers that will start budding babies a week after they are cut and fragged.

To get these growth conditions I dump absurd amounts of blended protein in the tank, (along with plenty of magnesium and kalk to kee pH up). Once the zoas and palys have 1/2 or more of the surface area covered, and it doesn't take long, nuisance algaes can't compete and wither away. Nitrate gets gobbled up as fast as it's produced.

Low nutrient tanks aren't good for growing softies, especially if they are small. Large SPS tanks that feature strong growing colonies of zoas may read low nutrient on a test kit, but are typically stocked with fish that are sloppy eaters and enough protein gets to the bottom to keep zoas healthy. That's the big myth about big SPS tanks that read '0' nitrate and have lots of fish. The nitrate is there...just gets gobbled up fast.

So yeah...water changes are counter productive for strong softie growth. Not the best either for SPS in a small tank because of the dKH bounces.

AUSSIE NANO

Zoas, shrooms, Xenia and most other softies thrive in water conditions so nasty it will kill SPS. I've had garden tanks with wall to wall zoas and palys, including rare varities like hornets and mauls, and you can see new growth almost daily. Grapefruit sized bunches of gobstoppers that will start budding babies a week after they are cut and fragged.

To get these growth conditions I dump absurd amounts of blended protein in the tank, (along with plenty of magnesium and kalk to kee pH up). Once the zoas and palys have 1/2 or more of the surface area covered, and it doesn't take long, nuisance algaes can't compete and wither away. Nitrate gets gobbled up as fast as it's produced.

Low nutrient tanks aren't good for growing softies, especially if they are small. Large SPS tanks that feature strong growing colonies of zoas may read low nutrient on a test kit, but are typically stocked with fish that are sloppy eaters and enough protein gets to the bottom to keep zoas healthy. That's the big myth about big SPS tanks that read '0' nitrate and have lots of fish. The nitrate is there...just gets gobbled up fast.

So yeah...water changes are counter productive for strong softie growth. Not the best either for SPS in a small tank because of the dKH bounces.

You wrote..."

So yeah...water changes are counter productive for strong softie growth. Not the best either for SPS in a small tank because of the dKH bounces."

Absolute nonsense. Regular water changes are essential for consistent water parameters. My 5 gallon nano gets 2.5 gallons a day (changed every day) for a cost of US$1.50. Sinularia Dura is in there and it's demanding in it needs moderate to high light and strong water current. It's min PAR requirement is 200. I run an AI Prime at 100% output 10 hours a day. Also. No fish in a coral tank.

aviator300

Are you from Walkabout creek. I knew another fella from there. Aint this fun?

AUSSIE NANO

Are you from Walkabout creek. I knew another fella from there. Aint this fun?

I have no idea what you are talking about?

aviator300

I have no idea what you are talking about?

As someone once said to me "If you have to ask I have to ask why you don't know?"

I'm 57. I am not a newbie. Cheers.

Your a ####ing stupid 57 kid. Reporting the post, your intent is clear. Apologies if you had a stroke and don't realize how damn dumb you're acting. Sheesh. :D

There is no phosphate in my tank. None. On a real life reef as I've already stated there is NONE as well. ZERO! My tank works because it gets 50% of its volume changed daily, it has the correct light spectrum and PAR and PUR and it has very high water current and wave pulse action. AND I never keep fish in a coral tank and I certainly do not feed corals invert food as this is totally unnecessary unless one has exclusive filter feeders such as Gorgonians. Cheers!

Then everything is dead. Phosphate is required for all life. Again, PICTURES of this awesome tank please.

I use ro/di water. I and a majority of people in this hobby don't have access to ocean water, therefore buy our water or run a ro/di system.

The majority of people in this hobby don't do daily water changes. Many people have very successful tanks without doing daily changes. There are many ways to run an aquarium, with success...even those who don't do water changes have had success.

AUSSIE NANO

Your a ####### stupid 57 kid. Reporting the post, your intent is clear. Apologies if you had a stroke and don't realize how damn dumb you're acting. Sheesh. :D

Then everything is dead. Phosphate is required for all life. Again, PICTURES of this awesome tank please.

There is NO measurable phosphate on the outer great barrier reefs. The reef as we all know is far from dead. And yes I will report any abusive replies as they are unwarranted as this latest one of yours with "Your a ####### stupid 57 kid." and "f you had a stroke and don't realize how damn dumb you're acting. Sheesh. :D"

You are extremely rude and how dare you suggest I had a stroke. That is no laughing matter. reported again.

I use ro/di water. I and a majority of people in this hobby don't have access to ocean water, therefore buy our water or run a ro/di system.

The majority of people in this hobby don't do daily water changes. Many people have very successful tanks without doing daily changes. There are many ways to run an aquarium, with success...even those who don't do water changes have had success.

I fully understand those without access to real seawater. However even salt mixes are not hard to do and don't take particularly long. At least nor for me. And you say.... Even those that don't do water changes have success? Really? None at all. Show me these successful tanks. Cheers!

There is NO measurable phosphate on the outer great barrier reefs. The reef as we all know is far from dead. And yes I will report any abusive replies as they are unwarranted as this latest one of yours with "Your a ####### stupid 57 kid." and "f you had a stroke and don't realize how damn dumb you're acting. Sheesh. :D"

You are extremely rude and how dare you suggest I had a stroke. That is no laughing matter. reported again.

I fully understand those without access to real seawater. However even salt mixes are not hard to do and don't take particularly long. At least nor for me. And you say.... Even those that don't do water changes have success? Really? None at all. Show me these successful tanks. Cheers!

No pictures?

I would report this post too. As a matter of fact please draw as much attention to yourself as possible kiddo.

AUSSIE NANO

Your a ####### stupid 57 kid. Reporting the post, your intent is clear. Apologies if you had a stroke and don't realize how damn dumb you're acting. Sheesh. :D

Apologies on my remarks about your reef tanks. I was looking at these pathetic ones. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/371618-aviators-cadlights-zen-5-new-zoa-polyps-wont-open/

Yours actually look quite nice. Cheers!

No pictures?

I would report this post too. As a matter of fact please draw as much attention to yourself as possible kiddo.

Once again. I'm 57 years of age. I have no idea why the hostility and hysterical rude responses over my suggestion to do a 50% daily water change. And what attention am I drawing to myself? My water change regime upsets people? Really?

Apologies on my remarks about your reef tanks. I was looking at these pathetic ones. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/371618-aviators-cadlights-zen-5-new-zoa-polyps-wont-open/

Yours actually look quite nice. Cheers!

Once again. I'm 57 years of age. I have no idea why the hostility and hysterical rude responses over my suggestion to do a 50% daily water change. And what attention am I drawing to myself? My water change regime upsets people? Really?

I'm 52 and I learned not to act like you have been acting a long time ago. You're talking to people like they're stupid and making suggestions that just don't work for tanks larger than, say, 5 gallons. It's not cheaper to change 50% every day, and depending on the corals it can end up being a lot more work. If you are working with a well stocked SPS tank that is using over 1KH a day then a 50% change won't be enough to replenish the Alk (not to mention everything else) and a 100% change will harm the SPS. In these cases you have to dose to maintain stability ...

... and then you have to take a step back and understand what the water change is doing. I am a proponent of regular changes, though not large ones. Evaluate the tank, the inhabitants, the water volume, and what you are trying to achieve. Is that 50% change really less work, is it really good for the inhabitants? Sometimes the answer is no.

I have seen plenty of pictures and videos throughout the web of beautiful tanks, all of them run differently.

There are ppl who don't do water changes at all and have been successful.

I don't need to provide pics, you can do a google search to see.

Calling anyones tank pathetic is really low and not appreciated.

AUSSIE NANO

I have seen plenty of pictures and videos throughout the web of beautiful tanks, all of them run differently.

There are ppl who don't do water changes at all and have been successful.

I don't need to provide pics, you can do a google search to see.

Calling anyones tank pathetic is really low and not appreciated.

I said the tanks were filthy. Not pathetic. There is a big difference. One is an observation. The other is being rude. I was not being rude.

Archived