Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Anenome (?) id

Joxer the Mighty

Joxer the Mighty

This little guy came along with some mushrooms I purchased about a week ago. Not even sure if it's an anenome though.  It's about 3/4" tall, not big at all.  The base is a light flourescent green. I've been feeding it frozen brine which it seems to like. Anyone know what it is?

Quote: from Joxer the Mighty on 1:39 pm on June 18, 2002[br]Thanks Leonard, I got the same response on another forum. He's as good as gone.

Just a fast question...As long as these things do not attack other inhabitants and do not multiply to the point they are crowding others out...why would you destroy them?? How fast do they multiply? I had some in my 55 and my 200 but they never got out of control and I had no ship to eat them?

Joxer the Mighty

Anthony: I just got a digital cam and will be taking some pics of my tank over the next few days. It's a 12 gal, but I don't have much in the way of corals, just some shrooms and buttons for now. I'll try to post some pics soon.

JROC: I checked over at Reef Central and read quite a few horror stories about mojanos taking over tanks. I'd rather not take a chance with this little anenome. It has moved near one of the striped mushrooms, something which the shroom does not seem to like. It's too bad, I actually think the anenome is neat looking.

Joxer the Mighty

I don't think they grow very big at all, every pic I saw at Reef Central showed them to be small in size. I'm telling you, it's a cool looking little anenome, but its kind seems to be despised just as much as aptasia.

I agree that the little anemones can be quite nice looking, and for the longest time I tried to leave them alone on "their" rock but I ended up removing most of them about a week and a half ago. I started out with about 10 of them on the rock, and a few months later I had about 30. All of the ones that moved off of their rock was removed immediately, and yes, they do like to move! They like to sting too.....and since they like to stay in a group it can pack quite a sting. Right now I am down to 3 at the bottom of the rock. All newcomers will be removed but I am trying to keep these 3 since they are rather cool looking. BTW, they can split and bud....mine have done both. Oh yeah, my clown decided that right in the middle of the (now gone) group was a great place to lay her eggs! If you did decide to keep it, I would suggest keeping the anemone on a small piece of rock, one that can easily be removed from the tank so you can deal with any offspring.

Also about their size....the biggest one I had was about 2" high and the disc was about 1 1/2" across. Most of the time they will keep the bubble tip on the end of the tentacles, but when there are competetors close by the tentacles will become long and thin.

HTH

Archived