Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Powerhead Suction Cups...can anyone get them to work?

quiksilver5768

quiksilver5768

Hey everyone...My question is exactly what the title said...is there any trick to actually get suction cups to stick to the glass and not fall off every time?? This is really getting frustrating...

Is it a new cup or old one?? Old cups will usually not stick very well because they tned to get a lot of mineral and algae buildup in the pores. This makes them stiff and worn. They won't stick very well at all. My experience notes that most cups are good for ~6 months in saltwater tanks.

Some people will silicone the cups into place to keep them on. I've also siliconed small algae cleaning magnets to powerheads and used the outside magnet to hold position. That works very well too.

Cameron

Well my trick was to clean the glass and the suction cups really well and just stick it on there. After that, turnthe power head left and righ like you would a stirring wheel and should stick, at least it did for me...

I'm about ready to make the move to maxijets too. I get more and more nervous everyday with that Rio in there. Too many horror stories. Anyone want a coralline encrusted Rio 90? :D

I have minijets. I think they're made by the Maxijet people, right? I've never had problems with them. They stay stuck, and dont crap out. I've had one running for about 6 months constanty.

hey satchmo, i've got five 600's if you want an even half dozen. :P and that's besides the 90 and 1200 X)

you just get into a routine with them, i guess (lazy buttosis).

Yup, the Maxijets are really good powerheads and they have the bracket and really good suctions caps.

I agree whats been said generally about cleaning the glass, old caps etc, but the ones supplied with the maxijets are very good.

I have had luck with this solution in the past (right now I am running minijets and the cups work fine):

Go to the LFS and buy the seperate suction cups sold by one of the quality filter/pump manufactures. What you want is a good quality BIG suction cup. Just take the stock cups of the pump, them super-glue or silicon the new cups on there. It works great. Just give them time to dry.

JJ, Wait till one decides to re-polarize and not run steady... it will wake U from a sound sleep as if a freight train was in yer house..... or worse cracks a magnet and explodes from heat...... see how much ya love them then...

FWIW... I stand by the Zoomed Powersweeps.. YES THEY DO STOP SWEEPING OCCASIONALY... but this adds to the randomness of reef currents.... BUT their suction cups BLOW chunks... I told thin that EXACT wording at the FPAMA BACKER Show in NJ a few months ago... they are "aparently" re formulating the silicone used

Aquarium Systems and the Hagen heads are also decent.

Archived