Cultivated Reef

Fluval Spec V Help

krusing93

Here are the pictures as requested... The fuge is approximately 1.1 gallons but when dealing with a 5 gallon tank a >20% increase in volume is always a big help :)

As far as the huge is concerned I have 1 large piece of dead coral and some rubble in there as well as some macro algae and the snails hop back and forth from the main tank and the fuge pretty often.... PODS ARE EVERYWHERE!!! It is a great way to ensure that your copepods and amphipods don't get gobbled up by your tanks residents :) Any other questions feel free to ask.... OR Recommendations are also welcome

post-91150-0-34507300-1476131056_thumb.jpg

post-91150-0-91316000-1476131147_thumb.jpg

post-91150-0-64243000-1476131237_thumb.jpg

post-91150-0-25130000-1476131301_thumb.jpg

SPS INCOMING HELP,

I am prepping the tank for my jump into SPS!!! I have moved my pump from my refugium which wasn't doing much except getting clogged with macro to the main tank to increase flow and have moved my leather from the right of the tank to its new home on the left hand side of there tank. My water parameters are uniform and holding steady right where they need to be with an emphasis on Salinity at 35ppm Dkh at 9 and Calcium at 420... I am happy with these parameters and my tank is running at 78.6 degrees with only a <1 degree swing from turning the A/C on high when going to sleep. I will throw a picture up and ask for placement opinions... STOCK COMING AS FOLLOWS...

Pocillopora damicornus

Seriatopora guttatus

Montipora capricornus

All SPS are about 1.5" frags so let me know where I should have them start off and where to move them!!

Thanks Everyone!!

Those are all good beginner SPS! But you didn't mention some of the most important parameters for SPS which are nitrates and phosphates.

Unless your lighting is super low, start them off on the sand bed for a few days just to prevent them from being shocked by the change in lighting. If they do well them move them up to a better height to get more light. Just make changes slowly, and keep your alkalinity steady.

My phosphates have always been really low I run chemi-pure blue and poly filter and they work like a charm for my little 5 gallon along with water changes every week and at worst every 2 weeks and the added refugium its gone pretty well

I have kalkwasser but don't feel as if i am going to need to use it considering the regular water changes and such a low volume of water. I have it just incase however...

I was thinking about getting that finnex combo. the fugeray is like $40 on amazon and the whole pump, fuge, light combo is like $50 on amazon.

Yeah it works great so far! No complaints except for having to prop it up a little bit in order for it to flow into the tank and not out the back

TANK UPDATE!!!! SPS !!!!

Got the SPS Frags in and they are wayyyyyy bigger then I anticipated like WOW haha!

Check this tank shot out! The Zoas are all discolored from turning the blue light down...Still awesome and the birds nest is already opening up after only 10 minutes in the tank!

Sorry about all the coralline algae...will clean it up in next post... maybe

:happydance::happydance::happydance:

post-91150-0-99736800-1476822623_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
FiveGallonSea

Awesome tank! Any updates?

Would you say the current USA led is enough for the Fluval Spec V?

More than enough. I'm running mine at almost half capacity and my corals are all doing great. It's a great light. Relatively inexpensive for what you're getting, looks good on the Spec V, and you can customize the heck out of the settings.

I even got the freshwater version for my shrimp only planted tank also.

Archived