inTank Media Baskets

Going Sloooow... Water Dog's Oceanic BC29 Build

Water Dog

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ugh... I think I have Dino's... this reddish brown whispy strands on my SPS. Been in contact with Twilliard over on R2R to figure out a remedy...

• 1 month later...

It's been an ugly few months unfortunately.  Dinoflagellates pretty much decimated all of my acros that were really taking off in growth and coloration at the time.  Lost a few nice Zoas as well.  All but one of my Acans have made it as well as my Hammer, Trumpet and Forest Fire Digitata.  Essentially, the big Acro die off was not that different than what happened to Sk8n Reefer's tank.  Once the dinos took a foothold,  the SPS RTN'd fairly quickly.

The species of dinos I have is Prorocentrum as identified by Twilliard under a microscope over on Reef2Reef.  I've taken part in the big dino treatment thread over there and the jury is still out on whether I've beaten them.  Just went through a full tank bleach dosing treatment followed by another 4 day blackout so I'll wait a few days after the lights are on to take a water sample under a microscope to see if there are any Prorocentrum cells swimming about.  

I am by no means deterred however.  In fact, I've been slowly gathering gear over the past few months for a future tank upgrade that will be wall to wall Acropora! :D  I do enjoy the challenge of keeping these pretty but difficult colored sticks.  With the Biocube, I'm in a wait and see mode on where my progress is in ridding my self or at least significantly beating back the dinos.  We'll see...

Thank you for the update! Sorry to hear about your troubles, hope they are resolved, and glad to hear you are not deterred. Do you have a thread for that wall to wall acro yet?

Oh, no worries.  I really enjoy the challenge.  I do not have a build thread for my next tank upgrade as yet.  Originally I was thinking of going with the RedSea Reefer 250, but because it's pretty much all done for you, I don't consider it nearly as fun.  Also, I'm not a fan of the big center overflow taking up all that room.  So I think I've decided on the Deep Blue rimless 57, the non Reef ready version without the big center overflow.  Still gathering parts for the build and I intend to do a lot of DIY this go around which I thoroughly enjoy.  I plan on retrofitting a TEK Elite 6x39w T5 fixture I got with LEDs, build my own stand with 3/4" plywood, drill the tank with a Synergy Reef Shadow overflow (which I've already bought) and design my own sump with a tank I got from the Petco $1 per gallon sale.  Once I have all the pieces in place, I'll start anew build thread.

Archived