Cultivated Reef

terrible pic, but what is this?

lostfish

When I look at this pic I can barely see it, but it looks like to me like a tiny anemone. It has a orange mouth and clear tentacles with a white speck on the end of each tentacle. Is this something bad?

6.jpg

Thanks everyone

LF

The name escapes me... and the picture is horrible : ), but it looks like a type of single animal coral (not anemone) that appears in the hobby from time to time. I actually have a couple in my tank, they have never been a problem for me but when I researched them a few years ago I did read that they have the potential to become a nuisance as they pack a pretty strong sting. Maybe someone can recall the name and you can then search for a pic.

10gallonnightmare

Do they have transpearent nylon looking strings that stick straight up and greenish yellow tentacles that come out the middle?

Do you happen to have sun polyps in your tank? If so, it might be little baby sun polyps... I had some grow from tiny yellow/orange specks about the size of a pinhead into something that's 5mm across now, just as you described in your post. Really cool.

Derek_setter

Do they look like eraser-top sized zoanthids with a very tanned-skin color mostly uniform. it is mostly short-skirtted and it spreads but not in a mat like zoas, a new one just pops up somehwere??????

I have that in my 75 gallon, although i think it is just a few of them that fell off a single rock of zoas that died, but they survived and grew

I will try to take a better picture tonight, I dont know how I will just because they are so small. But I checked them again last night and there has got to be atleast a dozen of them on the one piece of rock now. I have not bought any coral for this aquarium yet, this is something that has popped up on the rock. I would say the majority of them the orange part that looks like a mouth is about the size of an eraser head. Then around the outside of the mouth clear tentacles come out, they are a bit thicker at the bottom and slowly taper off. The tentacles look transparent to me with a bright "white" colored speck at the tip.

I will try the picture again tonight.

LF

Derek_setter

that bright green thing with the white bottom is some type of macro. I had some and pulled it of cuz it spread over a large rock in the 1 gallon

those are a type of coral that is found on fiji and gulf rock it is callled devis cup coral, i think it pretty cool because if you feed brine shrimp to your fish of corals the coral will use those tenticles to engulf the brine shrimp ad will fully consume it within half hour i have many in my tank the wont hurt invertibrates fish or snails.

anson

Archived